• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Alarming Grammatical Errors In The Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khuzleur

Active Member
#1
Has anyone noticed with increasing disgust the horrible English being spoken in Nollywood home videos? The grammatical errors are becoming extremely embarassing and alarming and I keep wondering if these scripts are ever edited. Secondly do these errors not sound bizare in the ears of the actors and actresses? I think it is high time whoever is responsible for this takes action. I watched a film yesterday and one of the actors made a statement and said "more better!'' Someties they use the word has instead of have. At other times, they mix up their present with their past tenses. I mean even primary school students will not make such mistakes! It is terrible. Am I the only one who seems to have noticed this? Please help!! May be if we can outline some of the English errors we've heard and the name of the film in which we heard it, it may help. Who knows?
 

Khuzleur

Active Member
#2
I can't remeber which fil exactly now. But in one of the home videos, someone said he could hear the flavour of the food. Can u imagine? "Hear flavour"
 

Joi

Code Cracker
#3
Haha :roll hhhaa!. Oh my goodness! Flavor ke? My dear.... u're not the only one...it's becoming embarassing you know? Ho we go take dey use dem pose with our american friends here? I bow O!
 

Pretty Girl

Well-Known Member
#4
My dear, that's already a trademark with most of our movies...I mean what else did we expect to get from all these movies that they produce like they're on some kind of marathon race to finish first. That alone will not give them anytime to fish out any error with their movies.
 

vince

Well-Known Member
#6
Joi said:
Haha :roll hhhaa!. Oh my goodness! Flavor ke? My dear.... u're not the only one...it's becoming embarassing you know? Ho we go take dey use dem pose with our american friends here? I bow O!
Give ya american friends helmets,shields and bulletproof vests before watching!Hehe! :biggrinsa
 

vince

Well-Known Member
#7
Pretty Girl said:
My dear, that's already a trademark with most of our movies...I mean what else did we expect to get from all these movies that they produce like they're on some kind of marathon race to finish first. That alone will not give them anytime to fish out any error with their movies.
Exactly,prettyG.It is no surprise at all that these mistakes crop up quite often due to the breakneck pace at which these hovies are made.
 

gogetter

Liya kebede...gorgeous
#8
what i dont even like are the loopholes in the movie...they'll show the afternoon where two pples are arguing, cut to night where they made up and the next scene is the evening, where there is still tension...haba, why now??..somene will say, i gave him 10,000 naira and the next day, it will be what happened to the 50,000 naira i gave u?? rubbish and nonsense. i mean they make mistakes here too, but those, u can hardly even notice.
 

KikisMuffin

I no get ya time!!
#9
gogetter said:
what i dont even like are the loopholes in the movie...they'll show the afternoon where two pples are arguing, cut to night where they made up and the next scene is the evening, where there is still tension...haba, why now??..somene will say, i gave him 10,000 naira and the next day, it will be what happened to the 50,000 naira i gave u?? rubbish and nonsense. i mean they make mistakes here too, but those, u can hardly even notice.
Una dey talk about grammar, spelling mistakes in thier trailers nko?

Examples of spelling mistakes in some trailers:

"This is a griping"(some gripewater req.?)

"Will live you on the edges of your sits"!

"Thort provoking"

HABA!!!

With written errors like these its no wonder that the stars are shooting bullets in movies. I wonder about them sometimes!
Can you imagine a whole Ramsey Noah in a scene telling someone "When did all this started" My guy, my guy.Nah wa oh!I bow for you sha![/FONT
]
 

gogetter

Liya kebede...gorgeous
#10
KikisMuffin said:
Una dey talk about grammar, spelling mistakes in thier trailers nko?

Examples of spelling mistakes in some trailers:

"This is a griping"(some gripewater req.?)

"Will live you on the edges of your sits"!

"Thort provoking"

HABA!!!

With written errors like these its no wonder that the stars are shooting bullets in movies. I wonder about them sometimes!
Can you imagine a whole Ramsey Noah in a scene telling someone "When did all this started" My guy, my guy.Nah wa oh!I bow for you sha![/FONT
]

what?? ramsey noah?? haba ramsey!! haba!!!
 

vince

Well-Known Member
#11
KikisMuffin said:
Una dey talk about grammar, spelling mistakes in thier trailers nko?

Examples of spelling mistakes in some trailers:

"This is a griping"(some gripewater req.?)

"Will live you on the edges of your sits"!

"Thort provoking"

HABA!!!

With written errors like these its no wonder that the stars are shooting bullets in movies. I wonder about them sometimes!
Can you imagine a whole Ramsey Noah in a scene telling someone "When did all this started" My guy, my guy.Nah wa oh!I bow for you sha![/FONT
]

Kikis,you miss road for dis ya formatting o!you berra edit. :)
 

Sola

Administrator
Staff member
#12
Abegi! As if English na ya language. All of una wey dey talk, una bullet no diiferent from there own. We're Naijas. Bulleting is normal and accepted. As Lagbaja talk, "t'abon meeeeeen". If una no like am, comot ya head jo.
 

gogetter

Liya kebede...gorgeous
#14
Sola said:
Abegi! As if English na ya language. All of una wey dey talk, una bullet no diiferent from there own. We're Naijas. Bulleting is normal and accepted. As Lagbaja talk, "t'abon meeeeeen". If una no like am, comot ya head jo.
oga sola..it is not a matter of "tabon-ing"... anyborry can make a mistake...but this is a movie...it is not live...dont they edit???
 

Sola

Administrator
Staff member
#16
gogetter said:
oga sola..it is not a matter of "tabon-ing"... anyborry can make a mistake...but this is a movie...it is not live...dont they edit???
Editing involves joining the little pieces created by other human beings like you...and as long as na Naija we dey talk, bullet dey flow dey go ni. Including you wey dey complain. How many of us sabi grammar? Very few. RMD, Justus Esiri, Uncle Olu, folks like that will correct their scripts on location if bullet dey from the writer's end. But the so-called writers today no sabi grammar. Actor sef na shine-shine hin dey do. Director...make we jus lef dat one.

Talking to me about grammar...your president no dey blow grammar? Even George Bush dey t'abon. English no be my papa language. Una no dey complain when dem do am for rap music o. If you wan learn English, go school. Actor job na to entertain, no be to school anyone.

As if most of us here sef fit write without blowing grammar. Its a Naija ting. Gba be. Abo o gba?
 

kaymax

Well-Known Member
#17
Sola said:
Editing involves joining the little pieces created by other human beings like you...and as long as na Naija we dey talk, bullet dey flow dey go ni. Including you wey dey complain. How many of us sabi grammar? Very few. RMD, Justus Esiri, Uncle Olu, folks like that will correct their scripts on location if bullet dey from the writer's end. But the so-called writers today no sabi grammar. Actor sef na shine-shine hin dey do. Director...make we jus lef dat one.

Talking to me about grammar...your president no dey blow grammar? Even George Bush dey t'abon. English no be my papa language. Una no dey complain when dem do am for rap music o. If you wan learn English, go school. Actor job na to entertain, no be to school anyone.

As if most of us here sef fit write without blowing grammar. Its a Naija ting. Gba be. Abo o gba?

On George dubya, yes, his english leaves a lot to be desired that's why you see every other sketch about him and his 'ignorance' of the english language amogst other things on SNL. Back to the Grammar issue, do you not seriously think that our people should be held to a higher standard? All this is out of laziness. Everywhere Nigerians go, they excel, why can't we demand the same thing from our movie industry which is largely what the rest of the world see about us? Personally, I think it's atrocity, to say the least.
 

Joi

Code Cracker
#18
Sola said:
Editing involves joining the little pieces created by other human beings like you...and as long as na Naija we dey talk, bullet dey flow dey go ni. Including you wey dey complain. How many of us sabi grammar? Very few. RMD, Justus Esiri, Uncle Olu, folks like that will correct their scripts on location if bullet dey from the writer's end. But the so-called writers today no sabi grammar. Actor sef na shine-shine hin dey do. Director...make we jus lef dat one.

Talking to me about grammar...your president no dey blow grammar? Even George Bush dey t'abon. English no be my papa language. Una no dey complain when dem do am for rap music o. If you wan learn English, go school. Actor job na to entertain, no be to school anyone.

As if most of us here sef fit write without blowing grammar. Its a Naija ting. Gba be. Abo o gba?
You know say majority of the African Youth dey idolize these actors and actresses and also, we sabi say bullet fit comot efery now and then but what I'm trying to say is that we expect more from them, from diction to the way you potray yourself, everything you do as an "artist" is noted. People are watching you know? How dem go dey collect all that money and when e reach for them to perform, dem no go take time proof read their scripts?
 

gogetter

Liya kebede...gorgeous
#20
Sola said:
Editing involves joining the little pieces created by other human beings like you...and as long as na Naija we dey talk, bullet dey flow dey go ni. Including you wey dey complain. How many of us sabi grammar? Very few. RMD, Justus Esiri, Uncle Olu, folks like that will correct their scripts on location if bullet dey from the writer's end. But the so-called writers today no sabi grammar. Actor sef na shine-shine hin dey do. Director...make we jus lef dat one.

Talking to me about grammar...your president no dey blow grammar? Even George Bush dey t'abon. English no be my papa language. Una no dey complain when dem do am for rap music o. If you wan learn English, go school. Actor job na to entertain, no be to school anyone.

As if most of us here sef fit write without blowing grammar. Its a Naija ting. Gba be. Abo o gba?
i no gba ooh...at all at all....na wettin...the ibons are just too much...kai...there is no justification for such. if nobody fit gree to re-read the shege, make them hire pple to do just that. haba, how can a whole ramsey blow grammer in movie...wey no be live production..kai, i no even know werrin to say.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.