Darkest Night!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pretty Girl

Well-Known Member
#41
vince said:
A question.Why was Genny's xter made to be such a dim dim?Her hussie gave her about 4 big hints that he had something to do with the shooting of her friend and she still did not get it!
The movie was pretty average,really.The only thing that stood out was the shootouts and the special effects.The script itself was pretty ordinary.
Rating:-3/10
Haaaaa!!! Vinceeee, o de shanu movie yi now. At least as pe Naija standards, the movie didn't do that bad to warrant the kind of rating you gave it now. :)
 

Ricardo

Well-Known Member
#42
vince said:
A question.Why was Genny's xter made to be such a dim dim?Her hussie gave her about 4 big hints that he had something to do with the shooting of her friend and she still did not get it!
The movie was pretty average,really.The only thing that stood out was the shootouts and the special effects.The script itself was pretty ordinary.
Rating:-3/10
I'm beginning to doubt your rating now ! This is a movie you can share with a non-African, and the one will enjoy it. It's of International standard so your rating is off wack !!!! Be fair men !!!!!! :cool:
 

zelifat

Well-Known Member
#43
vince said:
A question.Why was Genny's xter made to be such a dim dim?Her hussie gave her about 4 big hints that he had something to do with the shooting of her friend and she still did not get it!
The movie was pretty average,really.The only thing that stood out was the shootouts and the special effects.The script itself was pretty ordinary.
Rating:-3/10
Vince, totally, totally disagree with you here o! If you are a woman and beleive your husband to be a successful business man-it is not an easy leap of judgement to see him as an armed robber even with all the evidence there. It is similar to women who live with their husbands for years not knowing they have other wives in different places (happened to 3 diff ppl I know). The signs may be there, but for most women they only see what they want to see. Love na mumu, in English parlance-love is blind.
Another thing I liked about the movie were the locations used. Sick of naija movies that show crappy offices and local interior decor. The bar scenes were tasteful, the I-G & commissioner of police's offices were right-on....made me proud to be naija
I guess the fact that I could show DARKEST NIGHT to my non-nigerian friends and have them trip over the cast, acting and locations was enough for me to rate it high(7 to 7.5).
Still, Vince I respect your opinion and I hope soon Nigerian Film Industry (I just don't like calling it 'Nollywood' nowadays) will rise to your expectations. I know how frustrating it is to see so many crappy movies from home. E go better.
 
#44
I saw this movie yesterday and I've got to say it's a very nice movie. The storyline, acting and directing are top class and this movie has taken action movies in Nigeria to another level. I've also got to comment on RMD's performance, he's yet to disappoint me with his performance in Nollywood movies. I really think that guy (RMD) should be acting in Hollywood and not Nollywood. Well done Emem and co. I rate this movie 8/10.
 

vince

Well-Known Member
#45
Hmmm!That you guys are raving so much about this movie surprises me o!I honestly don't see what to rave about this flick,apart from the shootout scenes.Nollywood is still an infant when it comes to thrillers,so i will understand why you guys are raving about it,but the story and the plot is much too weak to be a good thriller,as far as i'm concerned.But you guys seem to love it so make i shut up.
 

vince

Well-Known Member
#46
Ricardo said:
I'm beginning to doubt your rating now ! This is a movie you can share with a non-African, and the one will enjoy it. It's of International standard so your rating is off wack !!!! Be fair men !!!!!! :cool:
For where?!Which international standard?If we should put that movie up for international scrutiny and critique,it will be ripped to shreds by the critics,so don't even go there.Seems to be good enough for naija standard,though,judging from the response it is getting from you guys. :)
 

khamileon

Well-Known Member
#47
vince said:
For where?!Which international standard?If we should put that movie up for international scrutiny and critique,it will be ripped to shreds by the critics,so don't even go there.Seems to be good enough for naija standard,though,judging from the response it is getting from you guys. :)
:) :biggrinsa :)
 

angeleyez

Well-Known Member
#48
Meddeen250 said:
I saw this movie yesterday and I've got to say it's a very nice movie. The storyline, acting and directing are top class and this movie has taken action movies in Nigeria to another level. I've also got to comment on RMD's performance, he's yet to disappoint me with his performance in Nollywood movies. I really think that guy (RMD) should be acting in Hollywood and not Nollywood. Well done Emem and co. I rate this movie 8/10.

I have to agree with you to some point. I watched this movie last night and I have to say i enjoyed it but it definitely has flaws especially with the shooting scene. There was nothing great about it they tried o based on african level but it just wasn't right enough.

One more thing, its not RMD that needs to go to hollywood but Genny. My hubby never cared much about her acting but last night, he stared at her for a while and mentioned that she needs to do some hollywood stuff. RMD still looks the same. He was trying to frown his face to look hard but it wasn't hard enough. His words were too soft and he sounds the same. Genny and RMD looked good together on screen in this movie, I don't know about other movies sha o.

Henry's best friend did a wonderful job too being a new face. That's what I'm talking about. I will get his movies anytime anyday stupid or no stupid 'cos I know he will deliver. He did a splendid job. At first I did not like his body language and facial expression when he was talking to Henry about him leaving the group. Since I was having difficulty hearing them due to my noisy sisters talking I first thought he was scared of Henry. I had to stop the movie and rewind since I kinda thought I was missing something. I had to start the movie over and I was glad I did.

They should not have made Henry's bestfriend begged the other guy though. So what he tried to call Henry, he should have stood his ground as a man and not chicken out like that.

Personally, I like most movies based on the acting. If the actors and actresses can grab my attention, I will sit through the movie just to watch them do a good job even though the movie might suck.

Genny is my girl y'all, she will always deliver no matter what. She has improved on her skills a lot.

I will rate this movie 5/10 all because of Genny and Henry's best friend.
 

angeleyez

Well-Known Member
#49
vince said:
Hmmm!That you guys are raving so much about this movie surprises me o!I honestly don't see what to rave about this flick,apart from the shootout scenes.Nollywood is still an infant when it comes to thrillers,so i will understand why you guys are raving about it,but the story and the plot is much too weak to be a good thriller,as far as i'm concerned.But you guys seem to love it so make i shut up.

Vince, the movie is not that bad. As for me, I've seen a lot of love dramatic story and this is the first time of seen something different after formidable force which I think sucks. I'm not going to classify it as thriller because there's nothing in that much to put it in that category but as one of those nolly movies, it ain't bad. I'm glad I watched it. It's better than your Oga Chameleon she you know.
 

angeleyez

Well-Known Member
#50
vince said:
For where?!Which international standard?If we should put that movie up for international scrutiny and critique,it will be ripped to shreds by the critics,so don't even go there.Seems to be good enough for naija standard,though,judging from the response it is getting from you guys. :)

That's if they can afford to sit down to watch it for 5minutes.
 

vince

Well-Known Member
#51
angeleyez said:
Vince, the movie is not that bad. As for me, I've seen a lot of love dramatic story and this is the first time of seen something different after formidable force which I think sucks. I'm not going to classify it as thriller because there's nothing in that much to put it in that category but as one of those nolly movies, it ain't bad. I'm glad I watched it. It's better than your Oga Chameleon she you know.
My sister,i believe that that movie tried a theme that was too big for it.The killings of 'alleged' corrupt politicians!Imagine what kind of rocus that would cause in real life?That sort of rocus was not depicted at all in the movie,which made the movie come out flat to me.
Why didn't we see detectives on the job working to solve the case,hot on the trail of the gang?The plot should've included a tenacious investigator who is right on their trails.That would've added more intrigue and tension to the plot,not to talk of depth.
What about a tenacious newspaper journalist hunting for the scoop of the century?Who is behind the killings?Political opponents?Foreign govts?Lots of conspiracy theories flying around.That would've made things a bit more interesting too.
How about focussing on the politicians themselves?They are going crazy as they accuse themselves of assasination attempts on one another,and so on and so forth,while the investigators are closing in on the gang.
All these dimensions should've been included in the plot before the movie could be called what a lot of the guys here are calling it here.
So you see,that is why i said that the movie was absolutely not up to the theme that it took on,coming out as a quarter baked thriller(yes,angel,it is a thriller),instead of a full blown politthriller it should have been.But like i said,that would've been too big for the Isong/Imasuen duo to handle as of now.Maybe in the future.Dem try small,sha.
 

angeleyez

Well-Known Member
#52
vince said:
My sister,i believe that that movie tried a theme that was too big for it.The killings of 'alleged' corrupt politicians!Imagine what kind of rocus that would cause in real life?That sort of rocus was not depicted at all in the movie,which made the movie come out flat to me.
Why didn't we see detectives on the job working to solve the case,hot on the trail of the gang?The plot should've included a tenacious investigator who is right on their trails.That would've added more intrigue and tension to the plot,not to talk of depth.
What about a tenacious newspaper journalist hunting for the scoop of the century?Who is behind the killings?Political opponents?Foreign govts?Lots of conspiracy theories flying around.That would've made things a bit more interesting too.
How about focussing on the politicians themselves?They are going crazy as they accuse themselves of assasination attempts on one another,and so on and so forth,while the investigators are closing in on the gang.
All these dimensions should've been included in the plot before the movie could be called what a lot of the guys here are calling it here.
So you see,that is why i said that the movie was absolutely not up to the theme that it took on,coming out as a quarter baked thriller(yes,angel,it is a thriller),instead of a full blown politthriller it should have been.But like i said,that would've been too big for the Isong/Imasuen duo to handle as of now.Maybe in the future.Dem try small,sha.
I see what you mean. I did not know they had an agenda. I thought they were just armed robbers and nothing political at all. My family might have been talking when that came up. I would rather them not investigate anything since they have never done a good job in that area. All they will do is make the movie look bad. It wasn't the best but manageable. At least it shows they have potentials to do better. All they need is likes of you to help them see things they can't see themselves.

Right now I'm reading a book on scriptwriting "Making A Good Script Great" by Linda Seger 2nd edition and it basically talks about all those things you mentioned. Really good book especially for beginners. The book talks about reworking stories once written. Its very, very obvious we don't do that. For example, when they met at the pool to talk, why would they stand in the rain when there was a shade. Are you trying to make the characters look hard or stupid. Apart from reworking, at least you are talking about them not investigating, what about that oxygen thank at the hospital that was left at 0 proving there was nothing coming out of it. Errors like gets onmy nerves. I'm not as excited about all these other guys that commented but I will most definitely say the Genny and Henry's friend did a good job in the area of acting. The movie was not brain stimulating for me but it was kinda different and was happy to see RMD act somethingelse and the wonderful performance of Genny kinda make the movie a good one for me. Nollywood has a long way to go and I can't wait till the newbreeds take over.
 

zelifat

Well-Known Member
#53
vince said:
My sister,i believe that that movie tried a theme that was too big for it.The killings of 'alleged' corrupt politicians!Imagine what kind of rocus that would cause in real life?That sort of rocus was not depicted at all in the movie,which made the movie come out flat to me.
Why didn't we see detectives on the job working to solve the case,hot on the trail of the gang?The plot should've included a tenacious investigator who is right on their trails.That would've added more intrigue and tension to the plot,not to talk of depth.
What about a tenacious newspaper journalist hunting for the scoop of the century?Who is behind the killings?Political opponents?Foreign govts?Lots of conspiracy theories flying around.That would've made things a bit more interesting too.
How about focussing on the politicians themselves?They are going crazy as they accuse themselves of assasination attempts on one another,and so on and so forth,while the investigators are closing in on the gang.
All these dimensions should've been included in the plot before the movie could be called what a lot of the guys here are calling it here.
So you see,that is why i said that the movie was absolutely not up to the theme that it took on,coming out as a quarter baked thriller(yes,angel,it is a thriller),instead of a full blown politthriller it should have been.But like i said,that would've been too big for the Isong/Imasuen duo to handle as of now.Maybe in the future.Dem try small,sha.
Vince, I hope you write a script soon cos your imagination is pretty good. Bur realistically the film just depicted naija in its basic colors. Have you heard anything about MKO'S KILLER'S? what of Bola IGE, AGOM, REWANE, OGB, SEKIBO, KUDIRAT, IDIAGBON? politicians just die and there is never a resolution in Naija. The police IG will just make noise that they'll get all the killers and then nothing happens. So I also think the movies are a basic reflection of our poor standards. Have you ever heard of autopsy, fingerprints etc in Naija? The SSS that should be during investigative work have all been basterdised by the army. I think the new lease of life given to theEFCC in Naija may lead to better scripts and movies.
Coming to think of it, how come no one has ever thought of doing a movie on the death of Abiola-the different conspiracy theories would keep viewer spellbound; was he killed by AL MUSTAFA, ABDUSALAMI, IBB, THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY FOR HIS ROLE IN REPARATION AGITATION, HOW DID HE REALLY MAKE HIS MONEY....
ANYWAY, I STILL LOVE DARKEAST NIGHT. And Genevieve has definitely got "IT"-whatever it is.
 

vince

Well-Known Member
#56
Genny's xter

The way Genny's xter was left on the peripherie did not sit well with me either.A role played by a big star like her should've been much more involved in the plot.She was just sidetracked and made to be blissfully(or stupidly)ignorant of what was going on with her husband,although abundant avenues were there to involve her a lot more.
I believe she should've suspected her husband involvement in the killing of the politician that also resulted in her bets friend being shot!Especially when her husband utter the word,"Impossible" when she was told that her friend survived the gunshot wounds.RMD even said the "impossible" more than once!That should've got her brain ticking,and if not,what about the frantically desperate way he was asking to know the hospital in which Alex was admitted?C'mon,she should've been convinced about her hussie's involvement and then swung into action to try and find out what is really going on.Afterall her future and the future of her kid depended on it.But alas,she was kept passive,doing nothing.This is poor scripting.
 

vince

Well-Known Member
#57
zelifat said:
Vince, I hope you write a script soon cos your imagination is pretty good. Bur realistically the film just depicted naija in its basic colors. Have you heard anything about MKO'S KILLER'S? what of Bola IGE, AGOM, REWANE, OGB, SEKIBO, KUDIRAT, IDIAGBON? politicians just die and there is never a resolution in Naija. The police IG will just make noise that they'll get all the killers and then nothing happens. So I also think the movies are a basic reflection of our poor standards. Have you ever heard of autopsy, fingerprints etc in Naija? The SSS that should be during investigative work have all been basterdised by the army. I think the new lease of life given to theEFCC in Naija may lead to better scripts and movies.
Coming to think of it, how come no one has ever thought of doing a movie on the death of Abiola-the different conspiracy theories would keep viewer spellbound; was he killed by AL MUSTAFA, ABDUSALAMI, IBB, THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY FOR HIS ROLE IN REPARATION AGITATION, HOW DID HE REALLY MAKE HIS MONEY....
ANYWAY, I STILL LOVE DARKEAST NIGHT. And Genevieve has definitely got "IT"-whatever it is.
Zelifat,i get your point,but forget not that this is a dramatised fiction and as such a writer needs to incorporate all the necessary ingredients to make his script as interesting as possible,even if he/she has to improvise and put things that don't normally exist in real life,like in this case,investigative work by the police.It makes a movie much more entertaining and intriguing and that is what we want,isn't it?
 

vince

Well-Known Member
#58
angeleyez said:
I see what you mean. I did not know they had an agenda. I thought they were just armed robbers and nothing political at all. My family might have been talking when that came up. I would rather them not investigate anything since they have never done a good job in that area. All they will do is make the movie look bad. It wasn't the best but manageable. At least it shows they have potentials to do better. All they need is likes of you to help them see things they can't see themselves.

Right now I'm reading a book on scriptwriting "Making A Good Script Great" by Linda Seger 2nd edition and it basically talks about all those things you mentioned. Really good book especially for beginners. The book talks about reworking stories once written. Its very, very obvious we don't do that. For example, when they met at the pool to talk, why would they stand in the rain when there was a shade. Are you trying to make the characters look hard or stupid. Apart from reworking, at least you are talking about them not investigating, what about that oxygen thank at the hospital that was left at 0 proving there was nothing coming out of it. Errors like gets onmy nerves. I'm not as excited about all these other guys that commented but I will most definitely say the Genny and Henry's friend did a good job in the area of acting. The movie was not brain stimulating for me but it was kinda different and was happy to see RMD act somethingelse and the wonderful performance of Genny kinda make the movie a good one for me. Nollywood has a long way to go and I can't wait till the newbreeds take over.
Reworking is the real scriptwriting and that is why professionally written scripts are done in many drafts.Writers usually don't see mistakes until they've done the first draft and gone through it.And besides,the great ideas usually come later and that is why a script should never be rushed.
 

angeleyez

Well-Known Member
#59
vince said:
The way Genny's xter was left on the peripherie did not sit well with me either.A role played by a big star like her should've been much more involved in the plot.She was just sidetracked and made to be blissfully(or stupidly)ignorant of what was going on with her husband,although abundant avenues were there to involve her a lot more.
I believe she should've suspected her husband involvement in the killing of the politician that also resulted in her bets friend being shot!Especially when her husband utter the word,"Impossible" when she was told that her friend survived the gunshot wounds.RMD even said the "impossible" more than once!That should've got her brain ticking,and if not,what about the frantically desperate way he was asking to know the hospital in which Alex was admitted?C'mon,she should've been convinced about her hussie's involvement and then swung into action to try and find out what is really going on.Afterall her future and the future of her kid depended on it.But alas,she was kept passive,doing nothing.This is poor scripting.
That will be poor writing not acting. There's was a time she raised her eyebrow in suspicion. Henry started acting foolish for a so called macho man when he found out the girl he shot did not die. All those part were due to poor writing not acting.

All that part where he was bogging her about the hospital and wanting to slap her 'cos she was cursing at the person that did it should have called for a different reaction than what they presented. It would have been better if she had been presented as a very, very naive person from the beginning. She was presented to us as an intelligent house wife and that kinda error about her acting supid should not have been made. The errors with Henry's character was by far worse than his wife's.

Its all poor writing as usual.
 

vince

Well-Known Member
#60
angeleyez said:
That will be poor writing not acting.There's was a time she raised her eyebrow in suspicion. Henry started acting foolish for a so called macho man when he found out the girl he shot did not die. All those part were due to poor writing not acting.
Poor writing was what i was talking about,angel,and not acting.That was why i said that the script was whack.
angeleyez said:
All that part where he was bogging her about the hospital and wanting to slap her 'cos she was cursing at the person that did it should have called for a different reaction than what they presented. It would have been better if she had been presented as a very, very naive person from the beginning. She was presented to us as an intelligent house wife and that kinda error about her acting supid should not have been made. The errors with Henry's character was by far worse than his wife's.

Its all poor writing as usual.
My points exactly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top