• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Pls Stop Renting Nigerian Movies!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gugu

Active Member
I hear all that you are saying, but I think that it is unrealistic. Scenario- It is Friday evening, I go to get some groceries , and pass the Nigerian music and movie store. I have nothing planned for the weekend, and it is a 3 day weekend. I need some entertainment. Do I think about not renting a movie and fighting piracy, or do I meet my immediate need, make myself happy, rent what brings Africa to my home for the weekend. I no longer watch television or American movies, so I am stuck. I am going to rent the movie, and meet my needs.

This is the reality. Theory is one thing, but reality is another. Buying homvies from Nigeria in the US is not practicle, and there are the shipping charges.
 

Obariba

Well-Known Member
gugu said:
I hear all that you are saying, but I think that it is unrealistic. Scenario- It is Friday evening, I go to get some groceries , and pass the Nigerian music and movie store. I have nothing planned for the weekend, and it is a 3 day weekend. I need some entertainment. Do I think about not renting a movie and fighting piracy, make myself happy, rent what brings Africa to my home for the weekend. I no longer watch television or American movies, so I am stuck. I am going to rent the movie, and meet my needs.

This is the reality. Theory is one thing, but reality is another. Buying homvies from Nigeria in the US is not practicle, and there are the shipping charges.
You don talk am finish !!!!! :fing02:
 

jamaicayute

Naija Movie Lovah
Question. I mean I don't know so don't be mad at me. If the people who produce movies have a proper distribution system wont they be able to control revenue each step of the way?

Why should I a consumer be shackled by whether I buy, rent? or borrow? Instead of telling me not to rent, shouldn't they work deals with those who rent to get some return on revenue? Failing which they can determine who they distribute movies to. I dont understand?
 

Sola

Administrator
Staff member
jamaicayute said:
Why should I a consumer be shackled by whether I buy, rent? or borrow? Instead of telling me not to rent, shouldn't they work deals with those who rent to get some return on revenue? Failing which they can determine who they distribute movies to. I dont understand?
Good and valid question, but it has been asked and answered up there. Just scroll up. We admit we're playing to sentiments here, because that is all we have right now. Many things are not in place yet in the emerging industry, while so much is being lost. If we were to wait until everything fell into place to attempt to do what is right, there wouldn't be an industry left at the end of the day.

As I have said before, it is the individual's call as no one is tying anyone's hands. Go legal if you can, that's all.
 
But there are avenues that Nollywood producers can work with

Sola,

Please visit NollywoodTV.co.uk

They stream movies straight to the TV via broadband and from what I can gather, are looking for partnerships with Nollywood producers to deliver good quality, legitimate and a price effective and efficient service.

I appreciate that not everything is in place for the content owners, but at least they can TRY and use the existing outlet channels used by the end consumer, especially those looking to work with them!

I have seen this service and it is good, just broadband and its Set Top Box is that is needed.

So Sola, may I ask that you contact them and see if they are for real and direct Nollywood producers in the right direction.

Lets help anyway we can.
 

Sola

Administrator
Staff member
aatirene said:
They stream movies straight to the TV via broadband and from what I can gather, are looking for partnerships with Nollywood producers to deliver good quality, legitimate and a price effective and efficient service.
A lot of people are truly looking for legitimate means of obtaining these home movies. The tin gods in Naija are so busy trundling around the local market, they cannot even begin to properly extend abroad. And those who try to work with them get accused of not reporting the true sales figures to them, often needless suspicions that destroy business relationships. Greed and lack of foresight plenti.
 

Sola

Administrator
Staff member
aatirene said:
So this really means that pirating is legitimate until proven illegitimate by having a legitimate process in place?
There are legitimate ways of buying movies. Order from home. Or buy from someone who obviously had it shipped in from home. As long as it is not computer copied cds and photocopied jackets, it is way better and more likely to be original. That way, something gets to the home video film makers...since someone bought the VCDs in Nigeria at some point.

No ma'am. Any kind of confirmed piracy can never be legit, even where the discs are unavailable. I educate, that's all. Each man to his own though...
 
Okay I now understand

Sola,

It seems that the only verification of a legitimate movie is one that originated from Nigeria.

It is possible to unitentionally buy a pirated copy in Nigeria!

Also can I asume that if I buy 5 copies of a movie from Naija, I am allowed to legitimately rent out that movie to 5 other people concurrently?

I am trying to understand how this industry works as it stands. If there are simple legitimate processes then lets hear what they are.

Also can you recommend legitimate vendors in London?

Thanks
 

Sola

Administrator
Staff member
aatirene said:
It seems that the only verification of a legitimate movie is one that originated from Nigeria.
I know a store or two carrying legit movies here in the US. Problem is much of their stock is pirated and only a handful is legit.
aatirene said:
It is possible to unitentionally buy a pirated copy in Nigeria!
That is correct, unforyunately. But people on the ground know the originals and where to get them. (The joke of it is that some marketers actually pirate themselves in other not to report true sales to the partner producers!). But even Hollywood is having piracy issues here in America, so that's another battle altogether...
aatirene said:
Also can I asume that if I buy 5 copies of a movie from Naija, I am allowed to legitimately rent out that movie to 5 other people concurrently?
Renting out any retail movie is illegal...unless you purchase renting rights (or whatever they call it). That isn't stopping people from doing it though, since those clunkheads refuse to work realistically with people abroad interested in legitimate ways of distributing this thing. You cannot buy retail copies at retail prices to rent out (and generate income). You can buy copies made for rental though, and depending on the agreement, you would be able to rent it out so many times.
aatirene said:
I am trying to understand how this industry works as it stands. If there are simple legitimate processes then lets hear what they are.
It is a mess, really. Even I get frustrated and I end up keeping quiet when the reality hits me. Home movies are made in Naija and you have no idea who owns the rights to it - producer or marketer? Producers are defrauding marketers and vice versa. I don't see how the industry can progress unless the key players sit down to sort out these issues.
aatirene said:
Also can you recommend legitimate vendors in London?
I don't live in your neck of the woods, sorry. Buy legit when you can. It helps a little, that's all.
 
Sola,

Those are great answers.

What is really interesting is you mentioned copies designed and priced accordingly for rental purposes. Now is this just available for the local market in Naija or are these available to be purchased in Naija and used abroad.

If so where in Naija can they be obtained?

Or are we just trying to use a system designed for the West, but not suitable for business culture?

If it is down to the spaghetti mess of individual producers and marketers, then it is impossible to be legitimate in this business.
 

Sola

Administrator
Staff member
aatirene said:
What is really interesting is you mentioned copies designed and priced accordingly for rental purposes. Now is this just available for the local market in Naija or are these available to be purchased in Naija and used abroad.
Because rental clubs are a reality even in Naija, many producers and marketers now make it a point to offer rental licences per movie. (There should be a clearing house for such things really...). It is usually a signed document you pay for that allows you to convert the retail versions purchased from them to rental versions. OGD does it. Mainframe too. Try the marketers (Idumota/Trade Fair grounds) in Lagos. It is easier to deal with the established producers for things like this. They are better organised. I hope some of the guys in Nigeria will contribute here. Ogonna, any ideas? You need to speak with someone in the know locally.
 
Great.

I hope these documents are not only legal in Naija, but cover the West too.

In the case of streaming movies across the internet, are there licenses for that too? Perhaps regional?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.