• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The Yoruba culture and traditional medicine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abike

Well-Known Member
#1
So I have been watching a lot of Yoruba films lately (been on some sort of holiday) and I have noticed the prepondarance or influence of traditional medicine in these yoruba films.

So my question is, are these yoruba film makers trying to say that many in the Yoruba culture are influenced by traditional healers, babalawos, etc? Is this something you have noticed yourself?

I mean, why don't we see the same thing in EMG (non-yoruba films?)

Has anyone else noticed what I'm talking about, or am I just yarning dust? :roll :roll
 

kolinzo

Well-Known Member
#3
Well, that's not a new trend in YMG. It's been going on now e don tey. The YMG producers portray average Oodua citizen lifestyle, and traditional medicine( i.e herb etc), babalawo are part of the culture. Reason for not seeing the same thing in EMG? That's because EMG always portray High class Nigeria citizen lifestyle( mostly easterners)!
 

Oyinkan

Well-Known Member
#4
kolinzo said:
Well, that's not a new trend in YMG. It's been going on now e don tey. The YMG producers portray average Oodua citizen lifestyle, and traditional medicine( i.e herb etc), babalawo are part of the culture. Reason for not seeing the same thing in EMG? That's because EMG always portray High class Nigeria citizen lifestyle( mostly easterners)!
dat is so not true how many proper yoruba person believe dat nonsense, na the producers got problem, big huge problem, they need to quit doin all the stupid babalawo stuff and face reality
 
#5
Oyinkan said:
dat is so not true how many proper yoruba person believe dat nonsense, na the producers got problem, big huge problem, they need to quit doin all the stupid babalawo stuff and face reality
Kolinzo said AVERAGE!, not all.
 

kolinzo

Well-Known Member
#7
Oyinkan said:
dat is so not true how many proper yoruba person believe dat nonsense, na the producers got problem, big huge problem, they need to quit doin all the stupid babalawo stuff and face reality
So you haven't tasted/had Agbo(herb) ,ever, in your lifetime? I have and they work quite well. There are lots of herbs u can use in some situations like when you injure yourself you can just look in the bushes and pluck the right herb/leaves, chop it, and squeeze the juice on the affected area,etc.

And about babalawo stuff, whether you believe it or not...they do exist and that's reality!
 
#8
Oyinkan said:
dat is so not true how many proper yoruba person believe dat nonsense, na the producers got problem, big huge problem, they need to quit doin all the stupid babalawo stuff and face reality
You're so right, i can't say it any better
 

Pete

Well-Known Member
#9
kolinzo said:
So you haven't tasted/had Agbo(herb) ,ever, in your lifetime? I have and they work quite well. There are lots of herbs u can use in some situations like when you injure yourself you can just look in the bushes and pluck the right herb/leaves, chop it, and squeeze the juice on the affected area,etc.

And about babalawo stuff, whether you believe it or not...they do exist and that's reality!
I still remember using this leaf wey resembu bitter leaf on bruises. The kain pain that thing dey give eh, kai!

Beti, within a few minutes, the bruise go begin heal.
 

Oyinkan

Well-Known Member
#10
kolinzo said:
So you haven't tasted/had Agbo(herb) ,ever, in your lifetime? I have and they work quite well. There are lots of herbs u can use in some situations like when you injure yourself you can just look in the bushes and pluck the right herb/leaves, chop it, and squeeze the juice on the affected area,etc.

And about babalawo stuff, whether you believe it or not...they do exist and that's reality!
im not talkin about agbo(herbs), those are completely different, those are medicine but all those stupid believe about ppl turning into dogs or sumthin like dat, thats ccompletely outrageous.
so u are u tryin to say a typical yoruba goes to babalowa, common.

i believe its all crap, the sooner we realize it the better for us
 

Henchey

Active Member
#11
Oyinkan said:
im not talkin about agbo(herbs), those are completely different, those are medicine but all those stupid believe about ppl turning into dogs or sumthin like dat, thats ccompletely outrageous.
so u are u tryin to say a typical yoruba goes to babalowa, common.

i believe its all crap, the sooner we realize it the better for us
Oyinkan, I agree with you ojare.
We Yoruba people (maybe others too) place too much emphasis on all that crap. The YMGs simply reinforce the belief.
The AVERAGE Yoruba person DOES believe that shyte. I guess we need to define the 'average' Yoruba person. Not our friends and families (many of whom ALSO believe it, by the way), but the person in the village and in the urban slums. They are the average people.
Some people look at themselves, then look around at their friends, families and colleagues and think they are looking at 'average' people. You internet people are NOT the 'average' Nigerian. You are the educated elite.
Unfortunately, a high percentage of our so-called 'educated' believe that ***** big time. Msceeeeuuwww.:1087:
 

Henchey

Active Member
#12
kolinzo said:
And about babalawo stuff, whether you believe it or not...they do exist and that's reality!
Yes, the reality is that they DO exist. They also engage in all that ***** simply becos the people are so damn stupid enough to patronise them and refuse to open their eyes.
But the reality is also that they achieve jack. They dont turn people into money. They dont make people disappear. Thre has NEVER been any evidence that they do. But becos we as a people never request evidence, and dont believe in evidence, we just accept rumour and conjecture as fact. The more secret, the greater the appeal.
Its all a load of nonsense, and we have all been screwed big time by these very smart illiterates.
The greatest trick that our ancient culture played on us was to convince us that The Babalawo's gonna get ya!!:fing33:
 

kolinzo

Well-Known Member
#15
Oyinkan said:
im not talkin about agbo(herbs), those are completely different, those are medicine but all those stupid believe about ppl turning into dogs or sumthin like dat, thats ccompletely outrageous.
so u are u tryin to say a typical yoruba goes to babalowa, common.

i believe its all crap, the sooner we realize it the better for us
Oyinkan, read Abike's post again maybe you will understand better! She said "TRADITIONAL MEDCINE, TRADITIONAL HEALERS, AND BABALAWOS." You are lucky your generetion don't know anything about this stuff call Ogun(charms)...they exist! I don't know anything about somebody turning into dogs,goat so i can't back that up. But anything else like place a course on someone......don't get it twisted! And yes a "TYPICAL" yoruba man would go to a babalawo!
 

kolinzo

Well-Known Member
#16
Henchey said:
Yes, the reality is that they DO exist. They also engage in all that ***** simply becos the people are so damn stupid enough to patronise them and refuse to open their eyes.
But the reality is also that they achieve jack. They dont turn people into money. They dont make people disappear. Thre has NEVER been any evidence that they do. But becos we as a people never request evidence, and dont believe in evidence, we just accept rumour and conjecture as fact. The more secret, the greater the appeal.
Its all a load of nonsense, and we have all been screwed big time by these very smart illiterates.
The greatest trick that our ancient culture played on us was to convince us that The Babalawo's gonna get ya!!:fing33:
I laff...really...i laff. It's like the adage that goes "omode o m'ogun o npe l'efo!" You will me surprised what is out there. We have unsolve mysteries in Oodua land too, if you don't know that is! The best way for you is to stick to your believe and don't underestimate the other. I wonder why they, the black race, in Cuba, Brazil, and the Carribean still believe in Sango- a religion they took with them from the slavery days, I wonder!
 

Oyinkan

Well-Known Member
#17
Henchey said:
Yes, the reality is that they DO exist. They also engage in all that ***** simply becos the people are so damn stupid enough to patronise them and refuse to open their eyes.
But the reality is also that they achieve jack. They dont turn people into money. They dont make people disappear. Thre has NEVER been any evidence that they do. But becos we as a people never request evidence, and dont believe in evidence, we just accept rumour and conjecture as fact. The more secret, the greater the appeal.Its all a load of nonsense, and we have all been screwed big time by these very smart illiterates.
The greatest trick that our ancient culture played on us was to convince us that The Babalawo's gonna get ya!!:fing33:
:fing02: Henshey, i so totally agree wif u,
our ppl just keep on believin in those stupid stuff, dats one of the problem of the black race they tell us sumthin(what pass generation believed
) and instead of us doin research or thinkin logically on if those things are possible we just believe in what they say, the worst part is the way even the elites believe in dat and stupid producers keep on doin stuff like dat in movie, like money makin, damn our ppl got problems, i'd u believe u can do something and money just come into your house from nowhere
 

Henchey

Active Member
#18
kolinzo said:
I laff...really...i laff. It's like the adage that goes "omode o m'ogun o npe l'efo!" You will me surprised what is out there. We have unsolve mysteries in Oodua land too, if you don't know that is! The best way for you is to stick to your believe and don't underestimate the other. I wonder why they, the black race, in Cuba, Brazil, and the Carribean still believe in Sango- a religion they took with them from the slavery days, I wonder!
You are laughing? You should be thinking, not laughing your head off.
What you should be thinking and wondering and probing, is not why a disconnected people hold onto their ancient customs as part of their search for identity, but why the part of the world that least believes in all that shyte is the most advanced, while the part of the world that most believes in that shyte is the least advanced!!!!.
Hello?
Is there a lesson in there somewhere? Can you see it?
Mscheeeuuuw!!!:1087: :1087: :1087:
Unsolved mysteries ko,unsolvable mistake ni!
 

barbiejay731

Well-Known Member
#19
Henchey said:
You are laughing? You should be thinking, not laughing your head off.
What you should be thinking and wondering and probing, is not why a disconnected people hold onto their ancient customs as part of their search for identity, but why the part of the world that least believes in all that shyte is the most advanced, while the part of the world that most believes in that shyte is the least advanced!!!!.
Hello?
Is there a lesson in there somewhere? Can you see it?
Mscheeeuuuw!!!:1087: :1087: :1087:
Unsolved mysteries ko,unsolvable mistake ni!

Na wao its really worth thinking over.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.