• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Yoruba language is dying! Do you agree?

vince

Well-Known Member
#1
"Kilo happen? Ma worry. Mo understand. Kosi problem. Mo sorry gan. Ma expect me. Ke e nice day" - (a GSM conversation)

Surely this is not Yoruba that this man is speaking? Definitely not! Yet everyday Yoruba speaking people are killing Yoruba like this. Is this the new (English) pidgin for Yorubaland, joining other sections of the country, who have specialised in killing their own Nigerian language by using mainly "pidgin" in the name of "communicating" with other groups? Oyibo culture has brought Nigerian culture to its knees in so many ways - now a foreign language seeks to kill our own God-given languages, using Nigerians as the executioners! Eewo!

That English, the ready-made weapon of British-American cultural imperialism, is not just trying to destroy African languages, but is attacking all other languages worldwide, I agree. Ojoogbon Akinwunmi Isola, the newly-appointed Chair of Oyo State Arts and Culture Board, related to me during a discussion with Ojoogbon Babatunde Fafunwa, the problem the French are having with English. He stated that the French government had recently warned all French broadcasters to stop polluting French with English, as is now popular in general French conversation, or face dismissal. But I doubt whether the French would think of slaughtering their language to the extent that Yorubas daily have begun to do. MORE
 

Pete

Well-Known Member
#2
English itself is a mixture of many languages. Numerous jargons English literates use are derived from foreign languages. English is one of the ever-changing languages in the world. Anyone who did linguistics can tell you that many widely-spoken languages have some “borrowed” words. Just do a research, and you’ll be amazed at what history tells ya.

It's not anybody's fault when people tend to mix "foreign" languages in their sentences. I actually think it's neat, and that DOES NOT in anyway kill people's [native] culture.
 

Multioption

Well-Known Member
#3
Yoruba lingo died long ago!

English language is superior to Yoruba lingo or any West African dialect! Anyone interested in debating that?
 

OlaMichael

Well-Known Member
#4
Multioption said:
Yoruba lingo died long ago!

English language is superior to Yoruba lingo or any West African dialect! Anyone interested in debating that?
Ermm.....how so?? Methinks they are both powerful in their own ways. One isn't superior to the other.

But I am interested in how you think english is superior to yoruba language. :)
 

Multioption

Well-Known Member
#5
OlaMichael said:
Ermm.....how so?? Methinks they are both powerful in their own ways. One isn't superior to the other.

But I am interested in how you think english is superior to yoruba language. :)
How have you been, bro?

There are proofs but I will wait for other NR members to argue in support of their lingo before I start dishing out my points.
 

Oyinkan

Well-Known Member
#6
Multioption said:
Yoruba lingo died long ago!

English language is superior to Yoruba lingo or any West African dialect! Anyone interested in debating that?
excuse me, i completely disagree with you
na our inferiority complex they make u say that, always feeling that oyinbo and their culture are superior to ours. i love the yoruba language, very expressive and complex.
im afraid that we are loosing this our beautiful language and culture day in day out
abeg my ppl make we try restore our culture
 

Oyinkan

Well-Known Member
#7
Multioption said:
How have you been, bro?

There are proofs but I will wait for other NR members to argue in support of their lingo before I start dishing out my points.
if we believe that our language and culture is inferior then there is no way we can help make it more complex and better our fore fathers tried but we are not trying, we have just been brain washed that everything african is completely inferior to the western culture.
im really waiting for ur points on english been better than yoruba.
we just cant move ahead as a race if we do not believe in ourselves, believe that our culture is and can become complex and sophisticated. the english believe that they are/can be superior and so they've been making their culture look better and more sophisticated than others
 

OlaMichael

Well-Known Member
#8
Multioption said:
How have you been, bro?

There are proofs but I will wait for other NR members to argue in support of their lingo before I start dishing out my points.
Hey...I've been good o. U nko? Se u dey?

I have been busy for a likkle while...then I was hibernating for a while...and then I was just reading for a while....as there wasn't anything to catch my interest.

Anyways....I look forward to your points on the discussion.
 

Multioption

Well-Known Member
#9
Oyinkan said:
excuse me, i completely disagree with you
na our inferiority complex they make u say that, always feeling that oyinbo and their culture are superior to ours. i love the yoruba language, very expressive and complex.
im afraid that we are loosing this our beautiful language and culture day in day out
abeg my ppl make we try restore our culture
Dear Oyinkan,

Quite unfortunate that your response to my post is a step in wrong direction.

To start with, no reference to culture was made in my post - That was deliberate!

If you wish to engage me on this thread, you're gonna have to separate your emotion and stick to the subject matter - are you willing to do that? Yes I suppose!

May I ask you a simple question: In the language you wish to defend, could you tell me how many words you have for faith? When you do that, I shall give you about 8 words that imply/mean the same in english lingo without using the word faith.

Let's get started!:)
 

Crystalgirl

Well-Known Member
#10
Why isn't this in Gen. discussion, it'll make for an excellent topic esp. the way MultiO is going ;)

OlaM, na Asian girls I dey see for your avater? Abacha go kill you today! Make I go do my own...
 

Oyinkan

Well-Known Member
#11
Multioption said:
Dear Oyinkan,

Quite unfortunate that your response to my post is a step in wrong direction.

To start with, no reference to culture was made in my post - That was deliberate!

If you wish to engage me on this thread, you're gonna have to separate your emotion and stick to the subject matter - are you willing to do that? Yes I suppose!

May I ask you a simple question: In the language you wish to defend, could you tell me how many words you have for faith? When you do that, I shall give you about 8 words that imply/mean the same in english lingo without using the word faith.

Let's get started!:)
my brain-washed ppl God Help us
i aint go no time now but i'll get bak to u soon
 

Abike

Well-Known Member
#13
Asiri ti tu....olaM, that na you? ...heh heh heh!




Crystalgirl said:
Why isn't this in Gen. discussion, it'll make for an excellent topic esp. the way MultiO is going ;)

OlaM, na Asian girls I dey see for your avater? Abacha go kill you today! Make I go do my own...
 

vince

Well-Known Member
#14
Multioption said:
Yoruba lingo died long ago!

English language is superior to Yoruba lingo or any West African dialect! Anyone interested in debating that?
Everything western is superior,multi!And that includes their religion/s too.No wonder we're sliding backward in everything that partakes to human developement,and the rest of the world sees us as LOOSERS!
BTW,our leaders also love to shift all our money into their banks,because of better security.Do i hear the world chanting LOOSERS!!LOOSERS!!LOOSERS!!LOOSERS!! :rolleyes:
 

OlaMichael

Well-Known Member
#15
Abike said:
Asiri ti tu....olaM, that na you? ...heh heh heh!
Yes o....that na me. Only there for a likkle while though. But em...whish "asiri" come "tu" now??? :spiny:

CrystalGirl.....Sharrap already!!! :rolleyes: And don't you go stirring things up with GSA. Those na my 2 Chinese wives that I got after my 7 hour ordeal in China. At least something good came out of it. :) :roll
 

Abike

Well-Known Member
#17
i cant see your face well well sef...you for put am in the pic forum?




OlaMichael said:
Yes o....that na me. Only there for a likkle while though. But em...whish "asiri" come "tu" now??? :spiny:

CrystalGirl.....Sharrap already!!! :rolleyes: And don't you go stirring things up with GSA. Those na my 2 Chinese wives that I got after my 7 hour ordeal in China. At least something good came out of it. :) :roll
 

Funmibaby

Well-Known Member
#18
Multioption said:
Yoruba lingo died long ago!

English language is superior to Yoruba lingo or any West African dialect! Anyone interested in debating that?

1. Multi - I'm gonna take your comments as a joke, or perhaps something said to just rile people up.

2. Since when is yoruba dying?????? yorubanglish is a lagos creation. I know for sure they don't talk like that in oyo state for example. Go to any small village in ogun state and i guarantee u, you will go for weeks before you hear one english word. Men i spent a whole weekend in ishara and i had to readjust upon getting back to lagos. Yoruba is alive and well.
 

Abike

Well-Known Member
#19
its just because the language has not been well documented over the years that is making some people feel/think that it might be inferior to this language or that language...if we develop a culture of documenting, and keeping records and what not, and also teaching our younger generation the importance of the language, it wont feel as if the lang is dying down.....when you have parents forbidding their children to speak yoruba in the home, what does that tell the child??? sometimes i wonder about our people....i really do!