Yoruba language is dying! Do you agree?

Pete

Well-Known Member
#21
Multioption said:
Yoruba lingo died long ago!

English language is superior to Yoruba lingo or any West African dialect! Anyone interested in debating that?
Superior in what sense? An inconsistent language made up of thousands of other long-existed languages can't qualify superiority IMO.

If you said that because many countries seem to embrace the language more than any other, probably because it's the official language of two great nations (UK and US), then that alone wouldn't make a point.

While it might be convenient for one to play around with many English words (probably formed from other languages) that may be misconstrued, you can't use "simplicity" as a point to support your opinion either. It's not the hardest well-known language, neither is it the simplest.

Waiting in anticipation for your response!
 

Multioption

Well-Known Member
#23
vince said:
Everything western is superior,multi!And that includes their religion/s too.No wonder we're sliding backward in everything that partakes to human developement,and the rest of the world sees us as LOOSERS!
BTW,our leaders also love to shift all our money into their banks,because of better security.Do i hear the world chanting LOOSERS!!LOOSERS!!LOOSERS!!LOOSERS!! :rolleyes:
The one problem with NR members is lack of focus! I understand this place is set up for fun seekers but when serious matters crop up, members are quick at throwing in their emotion.

You are free to assume, infer, and even conclude whatever you want. But I wish you post on this thread which lingo you feel is superior between yoruba/west-african-dialect and english without resorting to.... ! I am not sliding back but I can't speak for others!
 

vince

Well-Known Member
#24
One can say that yoruba is inferior simply because it has not been continually adapted to mordern times.It has not been finetuned and developed actively enough,unlike the other world lingos.
And anything that is not being continually developed soon dies out.A lot of very old and sophisticated languages are already extinct because of this reason.
The socalled yoruba scholars refuse to develop the language to fit mordern times,and as well as make it more appealing to the new generation.
Don't ask me how they should do that,because i have no clue,but they being scholars,they should know.But the fact is,they doing nothing,or next to nothing is harming the language more than anything else,and that is a fact.
Yoruba is not the only naija or african lingo facing real extinction threats,but most other native african languages too.All because of the same reason as stated above.
What is not developed,dies!
 

OlaMichael

Well-Known Member
#25
Multioption said:
May I ask you a simple question: In the language you wish to defend, could you tell me how many words you have for faith? When you do that, I shall give you about 8 words that imply/mean the same in english lingo without using the word faith.

Let's get started!:)
Ok I see where you're coming from....even though that doesn't necessarily mean it is superior. Superiority cannot be based on the number of words a particular language has for a particular thing. I am hoping that you'd talk more in the sense of usage, prose, communication, depth of meaning, import....etc

But just for arguments sake...and to continue this discussion....I (as in me) know of just the one word which is "igbagbo". Oya...Multi...over to you.



Remember though...like Abike said...maybe proper documentation would have revealed more words that mean/imply the same things. :)
 

Abike

Well-Known Member
#27
to piggy back on that, if we go to Ilorin, Oyo, Ibadan, Ilesha, i am sure we might hear different variations or definitions of the word faith, or any other word, BUT unfortunately, our culture does not support, AS IT SHOULD, documentation, maintenance, etc etc, hence the reason why "igbagbo" might be the first meaning of "faith" to many people, where for instance there may be other ways one can go about in expressing that single word....




OlaMichael said:
Remember though...like Abike said...maybe proper documentation would have revealed more words that mean/imply the same things. :)
 

Abike

Well-Known Member
#28
Yvonne, it was previously in the yoruba section, someone suggested placing it here so it can generate more discussion from people, thats all.....shebi una say you want controversial topics? ehn ehn!




Yvonne said:
Okay oh!!!!!!! I take it that because a mod started this thread, he/she will choose whichever forum to place it in......I rest my case.
 

OlaMichael

Well-Known Member
#29
Yvonne said:
Okay oh!!!!!!! I take it that because a mod started this thread, he/she will choose whichever forum to place it in......I rest my case.
eya, pele, sanu, ndo, sorry...(erm I no sabi the igbo one) :biggrinsa

I think this topic is more appropriate here too. It allows for proper discourse and contribution. ;)
 

Multioption

Well-Known Member
#31
Pete said:
Superior in what sense? An inconsistent language made up of thousands of other long-existed languages can't qualify superiority IMO.

If you said that because many countries seem to embrace the language more than any other, probably because it's the official language of two great nations (UK and US), then that alone wouldn't make a point.

While it might be convenient for one to play around with many English words (probably formed from other languages) that may be misconstrued, you can't use "simplicity" as a point to support your opinion either. It's not the hardest well-known language, neither is it the simplest.

Waiting in anticipation for your response!
Pete,

Our arbiter should be a comparison of english to any other lingo and not the source or inherent simplicity. Do you wish we compare your lingo to english to ascertain my point?

To avoid repeating myself, I suggest whoever feels his/her lingo IS NOT inferior to english should respond to the question posed to Oyinkan!
 

OlaMichael

Well-Known Member
#32
Multioption said:
To avoid repeating myself, I suggest whoever feels his/her lingo IS NOT inferior to english should respond to the question posed to Oyinkan!
Man mi....kilo 'n happen? Re the highlighted....but I just did. :)
 

Pete

Well-Known Member
#33
I still maintain my stance, Multi. Out of many languages that have been bastardized, English stands out. It’s so 'bad' that many English "words" aren’t even spelt or pronounced the same in different English-speaking countries.

Does that kind of “flexibility” qualify superiority?
 

Abike

Well-Known Member
#34
why must english be the point of reference? english (like it has been said earlier) is made up of Latin, Hebrew, Greek and what not.....
 

Funmibaby

Well-Known Member
#35
vince said:
One can say that yoruba is inferior simply because it has not been continually adapted to mordern times.It has not been finetuned and developed actively enough,unlike the other world lingos.
And anything that is not being continually developed soon dies out.A lot of very old and sophisticated languages are already extinct because of this reason.
The socalled yoruba scholars refuse to develop the language to fit mordern times,and as well as make it more appealing to the new generation.
Don't ask me how they should do that,because i have no clue,but they being scholars,they should know.But the fact is,they doing nothing,or next to nothing is harming the language more than anything else,and that is a fact.
Yoruba is not the only naija or african lingo facing real extinction threats,but most other native african languages too.All because of the same reason as stated above.
What is not developed,dies!

I will say it again here vince. Yoruba is neither dead nor dying. It is alive and thriving. Yoruba as a language can be traced back further than english can. It is extensive. In terms of evolution, u can easily look to the different dialects of yoruba existent today. "develop the language to fit modern times"???? I don't think you understand how extensive the language already is.
 

Pete

Well-Known Member
#37
Multioption said:
Pete,

Our arbiter should be a comparison of english to any other lingo and not the source or inherent simplicity. Do you wish we compare your lingo to english to ascertain my point?

To avoid repeating myself, I suggest whoever feels his/her lingo IS NOT inferior to english should respond to the question posed to Oyinkan!
Faith=Okwukwe=bili=binye=kwere=ntinyeobi=kwee=ntukwasiobi=biri, and lots more I can’t remember. They’re ALL Igbo expressions – not borrowed, I believe – used in different Igbo cities for the expression "Faith".

Now, give me 8 different English synonyms for "Faith" and let's see if AT LEAST one isn't derived from another language! Can those words be used interchangeably with Faith without the sentence having a double meaning?
 

OlaMichael

Well-Known Member
#38
Pete said:
Faith=Okwukwe=bili=binye=kwere=ntinyeobi=kwee=ntukwasiobi=biri, and lots more I can’t remember. They’re ALL Igbo expressions – not borrowed, I believe – used in different Igbo cities for the expression "Faith".

Now, give me 8 different English synonyms for "Faith" and let's see if AT LEAST one isn't derived from another language! Can those words be used interchangeably with Faith without the sentence having a double meaning?
Nice one Pete. :)


Oya Multi....over to you. ****OlaMichael sits himself down, grabs a can of coke and awaits in anticipation**** ;)
 

Multioption

Well-Known Member
#39
OlaMichael said:
Ok I see where you're coming from....even though that doesn't necessarily mean it is superior. Superiority cannot be based on the number of words a particular language has for a particular thing. I am hoping that you'd talk more in the sense of usage, prose, communication, depth of meaning, import....etc
OlaM, the question posed to Oyinkan is just one of many valid points I am going to highlight to support my argument. However, I may be forced to stop responding if NRulers keep getting emotional without strong points to invalidate my assertion.

OlaMichael said:
But just for arguments sake...and to continue this discussion....I (as in me) know of just the one word which is "igbagbo". Oya...Multi...over to you.
We don't have to guggle over non-essential. The forumite to whom the question was directed has failed to answer.... but now that you are introducing prose, communication, depth of meaning, import and impact, I wish to take you up on that!

OlaMichael said:
Remember though...like Abike said...maybe proper documentation would have revealed more words that mean/imply the same things. :)
That is a boost to my thesis and not the other way round. May I ask: why isn't there documentation of the lingo? remember, we are arguing the word superior!

OlaM, could you give me in yoruba lingo a prose or statement with depth and import, and I shall give you at least three words or statements that have far reaching effect on the hearer/reader than Yoruba lingo?:)

A reminder: We are debating on superiority!

Igabgbo in english: Belief, Creed, Dogma, Conviction, Credo, Theism, Doxy, Canon!
 
Top