Yoruba Literature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Multioption

Well-Known Member
#22
Gen Sani Abacha, thanks a heap for starting this thread.

Igbi Aye n yi
Ladepo Omo Adanwo
Ise ati Aso (very interesting)
Kadara
Rere run
S'agba di were
 

mimi victor

Well-Known Member
#23
This tread really took me back to my youth. I am about to cry for loosing all my carefree yrs. Anyway I dont think anybody can bring out any book that can beat those anymore But rumor had it when I was young that D O Fagunwa vanished without a trace while in the bush going after those Eboras How thrue was this rumor ?Anybody know?
 

Hubscrown

Well-Known Member
#24
mimi victor said:
This tread really took me back to my youth. I am about to cry for loosing all my carefree yrs. Anyway I dont think anybody can bring out any book that can beat those anymore But rumor had it when I was young that D O Fagunwa vanished without a trace while in the bush going after those Eboras How true was this rumor ?Anybody know?
I heard the same :rolleyes:
I guess he died of hunger or become Ebora himself.
 

Omo-Oko

Active Member
#25
mocha said:
i luv the names in the book.jonueli and co. they just sound funny. and did u read this other book "Abe abo"
Yes, I read Abe-abo too. This thread reminds me of good old days.
I also read Oleku, Olorunsogo, Kuye, Ireke Onibudo and Sangba fo!. I like d stories in "Alawiye" textbooks too.
 

queen2

Well-Known Member
#26
Omo-Oko said:
Yes, I read Abe-abo too. This thread reminds me of good old days.
I also read Oleku, Olorunsogo, Kuye, Ireke Onibudo and Sangba fo!. I like d stories in "Alawiye" textbooks too.
Ha ha ha i read dat wen i was in nigeria i also read erin lakatabu, abe abo ithink was fun and interesting bcos it was a drama. There were so many names in it like jeremaya, joonu, ojikutu in abiku solgun deke. :spiny:
 

Gen Sani Abacha

Well-Known Member
#27
mimi victor said:
This tread really took me back to my youth. I am about to cry for loosing all my carefree yrs. Anyway I dont think anybody can bring out any book that can beat those anymore But rumor had it when I was young that D O Fagunwa vanished without a trace while in the bush going after those Eboras How thrue was this rumor ?Anybody know?
Chief Daniel Olorunfemi Fagunwa died in a car accident in 1963(or was it 1953 ?) before he finished writing his 6th novel. Only God knows what happened to his manuscript.

ciao
 

Hubscrown

Well-Known Member
#28
My brother just told me today, he was able to me get some Yoruba novels.

1. Agbalagba Akan
2. Kuye
3. Owo Eje (Blood Money)
4. Basorun Gaa!
5. Agbako Ile tete.

I cant wait to catch up on all this old yoruba novels again. I have read most of them, if not all, before. But that was like 15yrs ago.
 

kolinzo

Well-Known Member
#30
I didn't read much, but i can still remember some of my Alawiye's stories from Primary 3 to 6. I can also remember reading KADARA, O LE KU.....
 

Gen Sani Abacha

Well-Known Member
#31
Bello ati Bintu!

Aesha said:
Does texts such as 'Morountodun' by Femi Osofisan count as Yoruba literature also?
All Yoruba language Novels, Plays and Poems count as Yoruba literature. They are just different genres within Yoruba literature.

"Bello ati Bintu" a text I read when I was eight years old, very interesting it was too. The theme was about a young brother and sister who went on a train trip around Yorubaland with their parents. Very few people seem to have heard of it though! :eyes
 

Hubscrown

Well-Known Member
#32
Sound similar to Macmillian Oxford English book I read in primary school. I think from pry 5-6 there was story of Mr. Bako's and his family travelling around the country.

Bello and Bintu story must have been 70's story.

Gen Sani Abacha said:
All Yoruba language Novels, Plays and Poems count as Yoruba literature. They are just different genres within Yoruba literature.

"Bello ati Bintu" a text I read when I was eight years old, very interesting it was too. The theme was about a young brother and sister who went on a train trip around Yorubaland with their parents. Very few people seem to have heard of it though! :eyes
 

Gen Sani Abacha

Well-Known Member
#33
Hubscrown said:
Sound similar to Macmillian Oxford English book I read in primary school. I think from pry 5-6 there was story of Mr. Bako's and his family travelling around the country.

Bello and Bintu story must have been 70's story.
Yeah the NOEC(New Oxford English Course) was about Biola and Alade Bako!
"Bello ati Bintu" was in the early eighties as far as I know.

ciao
 

Gen Sani Abacha

Well-Known Member
#37
Hubscrown said:
The trilogy, Ogboju Ode ninu Igbo Irunmale, Igbo Olodumare and Irinkerindo ninu Igbo Elegbeje.

You know if one gets good budget and a great director like Peter Jackson. This story could measure up somewhat to Lord of the Rings.
grinning:
Unfortunately, our people have got "small goat mentality", wouldn't want to invest what it takes to bring this to reality. Short-term thinking will make this a still-born project.

ciao
 

Hubscrown

Well-Known Member
#38
Beleive me if God grant me the grace I will sure put hand on the project (and its going to be something American audience will appreciate). I'm very familiar with the story. I read them when I was young, around 8-12years old. And then my mom was working in Suburb in Osun State then and our house faced this big forest mountain. I used to imagine the xter of the book with forest while reading it.

Gen Sani Abacha said:
grinning:
Unfortunately, our people have got "small goat mentality", wouldn't want to invest what it takes to bring this to reality. Short-term thinking will make this a still-born project.

ciao
 

Gen Sani Abacha

Well-Known Member
#39
Hubscrown said:
Beleive me if God grant me the grace I will sure put hand on the project (and its going to be something American audience will appreciate). I'm very familiar with the story. I read them when I was young, around 8-12years old. And then my mom was working in Suburb in Osun State then and our house faced this big forest mountain. I used to imagine the xter of the book with forest while reading it.
I like your ambitious spirit jare mah dawg!!! I pray God grants you the grace to carry it out! grinning:

Do you know that the forest in question was near chief Fagunwa's hometown in Ekiti state ? I think that's where he grew up, and how he developed his own imagination. I'm reminded of Igbo Lisabi(Lisabi's forest) in Abeokuta, although I have never entered it before.

ciao
 

Hubscrown

Well-Known Member
#40
I will sure ask my brother to help me start looking for the books. Old Yoruba literature are hard to find in the market this days in Nigeria. My brother was telling me how tough was it to get those fives he got me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top