• Naija Rules! has been around since 2003, providing a hangout for the fans of Nigerian and African movies. Our members were in the forefront of the spread of movies from Africa to the world.

Behind Closed Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

erinma

Atlakos said:
Stop criticising Nigerian Moview. They have come a long way, lets give them a chance they'll improve sha. It doesnt take a day to improve and be hollywood perfect.

i loved the movie and waiting for part 3. I own both part 1 and 2.
then what are those that are called "critics" there for? Cos if people dont critcise how would they know where and how to improve?

vince

Atlakos said:
Stop criticising Nigerian Moview. They have come a long way, lets give them a chance they'll improve sha. It doesnt take a day to improve and be hollywood perfect.

i loved the movie and waiting for part 3. I own both part 1 and 2.
And you do think that we would be doing them a good service by not criticizing and telling them where they are lacking?Do you really believe that any creative process can ever improve without those people telling what and where it is needed to be improved?
If any producer can't take criticism,then he or she has no business making movies.I have said this before.It is part and parcel of the game.So please don't tell people not to critisize,thank you.

Shekua

callonkech said:
yes o. stella didnt die and rmd later married stella and dessy went to jail and oops! sorry is the part 3 out yet? emem sorry o

Wow! Is Part 3 really out? I have not watched it yet and am really waiting to see what will happened next.

Ricardo

Shekua said:
Wow! Is Part 3 really out? I have not watched it yet and am really waiting to see what will happened next.

s/he was just joking, but I believe it should be out soon ! :)

moviefan

callonkech said:
yes o. stella didnt die and rmd later married stella and dessy went to jail and oops! sorry is the part 3 out yet? emem sorry o

For one split second, I believed you and then couldn't believe that you gave the plot away like that. But who knows, that is probs the most likely way it will end, unless there is a part 4. :nature-sm

blackbutterfly

No Surprise Here...and food for thoughts, Vin

I am totally not surprised at the ending, I figured it out so that why I am not particularly excited about seeing Part 3. The whole movie was very contrived to me - I think in a quest to stand apart in the Nollywood script writting business, Emem Isong is going for the "shock" value (Critical Decision: Genevieve's character poses "nude" for N3mil, Emotional Crack: a battered woman turns to sapphic comfort) in her stories as oppose to an experience that is really personal. None of the characters in the movies had a HIGH STAKE in their circumstances - I don't know how to explain it - but there is something about the script that did not sit right with me - didn't ring true at all. I don't know if its the writting or the acting but I didn't feel like these people are about to lose everything they value...

And I am sorry for an extremely rich man, Phil's (RMD) house didn't not reflect it. And why in the heck was Stella's character's always seemingly at Phil's house? I know she knew he had some feelings for her even if he didn't say it, RMD made sure to speak volumes about that in his eyes so WHY would she consistently go there? For a rich man he should have had a nurse living in the house with him to take care of his needs so there was no need for her to be there and when she was there I don't see what it is she did. Now if she was a NURSE - that's different. That gives her a reason to be there all the time and having to touch him in caring for him can leave open room for physical sparks.

And Oasis...we don't even know why he's not working...why he isn't looking for work. I felt no sympathy for his character. He came of as a petulant, spoilt brat sitting at home complaining that his wife the sole breadwinner shouldn't go to work b/c he doesn't want other men looking at her. Now, if they showed him trying his darnest to look for a job, selling Pure Water - sweating out in the sun, showing his frustration at trying to scratch out a living, I can see him flipping...being short tempered because things aren't working out right. BUT here this idiot, everytime we see him...he's sitting on his duff watching TV or in the bed complaining, complaining, complaining even when he's fault for half the problems.

Job you no get, sperm you no get, adopt you no wan do...NA WETIN?!

Emem wrote that character to lose from the beginning...she didn't allow him to unravel slowly...she didn't give him a struggle. Its like this clear cut and dry cookie cutter characters: the rich, handsome, tall, charismatic brother who is mom's favorite against the short, skinny, less than handsome, jobless brother.

And how about this...do they understand the concept of time in these movies?

Oasis comes into RMD's house (now if the man is going to make love to a woman at night..especially one that is not his wife...ONE time only, you would think he would LOCK the damn door) to stop THE ACT - he bursts out with "YOU COULDN'T WAIT ONE MINUTE"...UH, duh....the time it took her to get there, talk-talk-talk, take her clothes off and the act...and the time it takes for YOU to get there...brother, a minute is no longer consequential! Excuse me? And what is he saying about Phil, he is a one minute man? That was stupid.

vince

blackbutterfly said:
I am totally not surprised at the ending, I figured it out so that why I am not particularly excited about seeing Part 3. The whole movie was very contrived to me - I think in a quest to stand apart in the Nollywood script writting business, Emem Isong is going for the "shock" value (Critical Decision: Genevieve's character poses "nude" for N3mil, Emotional Crack: a battered woman turns to sapphic comfort) in her stories as oppose to an experience that is really personal. None of the characters in the movies had a HIGH STAKE in their circumstances - I don't know how to explain it - but there is something about the script that did not sit right with me - didn't ring true at all. I don't know if its the writting or the acting but I didn't feel like these people are about to lose everything they value...

And I am sorry for an extremely rich man, Phil's (RMD) house didn't not reflect it. And why in the heck was Stella's character's always seemingly at Phil's house? I know she knew he had some feelings for her even if he didn't say it, RMD made sure to speak volumes about that in his eyes so WHY would she consistently go there? For a rich man he should have had a nurse living in the house with him to take care of his needs so there was no need for her to be there and when she was there I don't see what it is she did. Now if she was a NURSE - that's different. That gives her a reason to be there all the time and having to touch him in caring for him can leave open room for physical sparks.

And Oasis...we don't even know why he's not working...why he isn't looking for work. I felt no sympathy for his character. He came of as a petulant, spoilt brat sitting at home complaining that his wife the sole breadwinner shouldn't go to work b/c he doesn't want other men looking at her. Now, if they showed him trying his darnest to look for a job, selling Pure Water - sweating out in the sun, showing his frustration at trying to scratch out a living, I can see him flipping...being short tempered because things aren't working out right. BUT here this idiot, everytime we see him...he's sitting on his duff watching TV or in the bed complaining, complaining, complaining even when he's fault for half the problems.

Emem wrote that character to lose from the beginning...she didn't allow him to unravel slowly...she didn't give him a struggle. Its like this clear cut and dry cookie cutter characters: the rich, handsome, tall, charismatic brother who is mom's favorite against the short, skinny, less than handsome, jobless brother.

Oasis comes into RMD's house (now if the man is going to make love to a woman at night..especially one that is not his wife...ONE time only, you would think he would LOCK the damn door) to stop THE ACT - he bursts out with "YOU COULDN'T WAIT ONE MINUTE"...UH, duh....the time it took her to get there, talk-talk-talk, take her clothes off and the act...and the time it takes for YOU to get there...brother, a minute is no longer consequential! Excuse me? And what is he saying about Phil, he is a one minute man? That was stupid.
First of all you deserve this :action-sm :action-sm grinning: for that insight into this movie that everybody is shouting about.This is why i opened a thread on Emem(who is an NR member,by the way)to show that her scripting is becoming shallower and shallower by each movie.
What did not feel right to you was the fact that there were not enough conflict points developed earlier in the movie to justify all the drama that was later occuring in the plot.The foundation laid down for the dramatic situations was very very weak and could not sustain them well enough to make them look and feel real.
Now if the script had been brought to me for editing,i would've had to change a very large portion of the plot to make it half decent.
All your observations concerning the xters and the plot are totally correct.I will post the way i would've told this story if the script were to be mine later.

hotchocolate

Obe to dun, Owo lo pa
Explicit

blackbutterfly said:

Terrific(good) critical analysis. U are good

Happysoul

No Money no Friends
The movie was one of the best I must confess. At first I wasn't keen in watching the movie but after I did I loved it, i can't wait to see the part too of it.

blackbutterfly

vince said:
First of all you deserve this :action-sm :action-sm grinning: for that insight into this movie that everybody is shouting about.This is why i opened a thread on Emem(who is an NR member,by the way)to show that her scripting is becoming shallower and shallower by each movie.
What did not feel right to you was the fact that there were not enough conflict points developed earlier in the movie to justify all the drama that was later occuring in the plot.The foundation laid down for the dramatic situations was very very weak and could not sustain them well enough to make them look and feel real.
Now if the script had been brought to me for editing,i would've had to change a very large portion of the plot to make it half decent.
All your observations concerning the xters and the plot are totally correct.I will post the way i would've told this story if the script were to be mine later.

I can't wait to read it and if you don't mind...I'd like to add something also...

vince

blackbutterfly said:
I can't wait to read it and if you don't mind...I'd like to add something also...
I will post it tommorrow,and you can add whatever you deem fit. :)

zelifat

blackbutterfly said:

Waoh! You have given me another great reason to come to Naijarules more often. What insight! You would really be great as a script consultant. I wish the movie ppl read this posts with a lot of attention cos there's a lot of good stuff here.

Atlakos

Life, Love & Happiness
blackbutterfly said:

Oh mi gahd i am rolling over here. You should be a professional critique or something. :roll

FAVORABLE QUOTES FROM MOVIE

"ADOPTION IS NOT AN OPTION"

"OBINA, MAMA OBINA, THE SUN DON RISE ITS OBINA - THE RAIN DON FALL ITS OBINA, OBINA DIS OBINA THAT......"

moviefan

... And next time, Desmond Elliot should not attempt the backstroke he attempted in the swimming pool. He looked like he was drowning. Not cool

vince

How i would've done it

Like i have mentioned earlier about the plot of this movie here,the whole drama was built on a very weak foundation due to the fact that not enough conflict elements were incorporated into the early part of the story to truly validate all the dramas that followed.
The result being the dramatic moments coming out looking and feeling unconvincing and unmotivated.
If the script had been brought to me to rewrite,i would've done the following;
-Turn RMD's xter into a villain together with the mother.
-Accentuate from the start that the eldest son is the most favoured and loved by the remaining parent(the mother).
-Make known explicitly the fervent desire of the mother to do something about the threat to the family lineage because of the sterility of the younger son Oasis and the refusal of the eldest son to get married.
-She puts pressure on the eldest son to get married to father a son,but he will only agree if the mother will play along so that he can sleep with and eventually take over his younger bro's wife.The mother refuses initially,but he threatens refusal to get married and bear a son unless she plays along.The mother caves in.To her the continuation of the lineage is all that matters to her.
-The terminal cancer plan is then born.
-After the wife is impregnated by the eldest bro,Oasis is still not happy but is resigned to fate,finding consolation in the fact that he has done something good and important for the survival of his family lineage.
-Then comes the miraculous recovery of the eldest bro soon after!
-Oasis becomes very suspicious about this and smells foulplay.He begins to quietly investigate.
-Oasis discovers the truth as his eldest bro and his mother are moving into gear to take his wife from him and all hell breaks loose!

Now the drama can begin,especially with Oasis accusing his wife of complicity in the plot.The plot can go anywhere from there.
It is not a perfect plot but it offers a better and more solid foundation for the drama that ensued in the latter part of the story.

kaymax

blackbutterfly said:

Yeah, call me when you're done, I'll help you cast it. Tony Umez would've been great for Desmond's part. LOOSER!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.