Contemplating Going Natural?

mimi84

I'm so jealous of all you ladies that can do twists that last for ages and look fab! I have 3b/c type and so unfortunately twists,braids and similar styles never last longer than 2 days:( As for websites I love lurking on LHCF and curly nikki..

mimi84

My natural hair sisters...abeg can you shed some light on this hair shedding business?
i think i'm doing everything right, but i'm shedding hair like crazy and i don't know if i should hit the panic button or what.

it's not great big clumps, but i am shedding hair. and this is without me combing it o, i'm just putting olive oil and rubbing through my hair and there are these tiny hair balls in my hand

Shedding is ok,apparently we lose something btw 50-100 hairs a day. So far you are sure the strands have the white bulbs at the ends its all good. I heard garlic hepls to reduce shedding,never tried it though.

Thickmadam

OHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHH!!
Thanks Mimi. i haven't examined to see if there are white bulbs. but it will tonight.

I've been having a lot of fun with my hair, i don't know why it took me so long to take this plunge. i've been doing mohawks (as much as i can) twists, twistouts, afro, headbands, hair accessories like clips, i'm having fun.

now one question:
has anyone used KINKY CURLY before? what do you think?
i tried it but perhaps i'm not using it properly because it's leaving these white sticky flake in my hair (which i hate)

How about CAROL'S DAUGHTER?
i want something that will define my curls.

I tried Cantu but i HATE IT!!
eiew!
i'm throiwng it away. luckily it was very cheap.

what is your favourite conditioner?
i like Herbal Essences and Pantene Pro-V

bluestocking

Personally, I try not use too many too many hair products as they make my hair heavy and greasy.I find that my hair flourishes more with as few products as possible.
But then again I have dreadlocks now and they're relatively low maintenance.

Aust_nne

Thanks Mimi. i haven't examined to see if there are white bulbs. but it will tonight.

I've been having a lot of fun with my hair, i don't know why it took me so long to take this plunge. i've been doing mohawks (as much as i can) twists, twistouts, afro, headbands, hair accessories like clips, i'm having fun.

now one question:
has anyone used KINKY CURLY before? what do you think?
i tried it but perhaps i'm not using it properly because it's leaving these white sticky flake in my hair (which i hate)

How about CAROL'S DAUGHTER?
i want something that will define my curls.

I tried Cantu but i HATE IT!!
eiew!
i'm throiwng it away. luckily it was very cheap.

what is your favourite conditioner?
i like Herbal Essences and Pantene Pro-V

Bought some orginal Ghana Shea butter, about to whip some cream and concot something..would tell you how it goes..lots of hair naturales swear by it.

mimi84

Hi! you are welcome! I stay in eastern europe at the moment so unfortunately I dont have access to kinky curly and other good stuff,lots of women on hairboards complain about the white flakes too and apparently you have to use it with the kinky curly knot today leave-in to avoid that..for curl defination I heard aloe vera gel or ecostyler gel(used with on top of a leave in so you dont get hard hair)I have tried only aloe vera gel and while my curls very very defined they were really limp and just yucky looking..I have very fine hairstrands so tend to look for products that dont weigh my hair down.
I like herbal essences 'break's over',its got amazing slip and I use it as a detangler,leave-in,moisturiser!(like my products to multi task lol)..recently I also tried organix conditioners and it was just amazing as a co-wash..didnt work as a leave-in though.ORS replenishing pack is a great deep conditioner,didnt expect it to work so well.
Thanks for the headsup about cantu-was avbout to ask a friend to get me some from the uk ..

BabyP

OMG! I haven't checked in here in a while. Am loving the thread and thanks y'all for naming some great products and ideas. I will definitely be trying out some of them. For now I just use Olive Oil or Cantu oil, then twist, twistout, Bantu twist, wear and afro(although my hair is getting too long for it) and mohawks. Am loving da natural hair. As for shampoos and conditioner, I don't have a particular one but after I try some from this thread I might find one to stick to.
Thanks ladies, keep 'em coming!!!

Thickmadam

OHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHH!!
mimi, is there any particular brand of aloe vera gel or just look for any gel with aloe vera in it?
and what type of leave in conditioner to use with the ecostyler gel (which i have a big tub of but haven't used, guess now i gotta try it)

i have been having a lot of fun with my hair, my oyibo co-workers are always commenting about it, and one of the men said to me just yesterday, that i change my hairstyle more than anybody he knows.
i almost asked him how many black women he knows, but i figured smiling and saying "i'll take that as a compliment" was a better response. any small thing now they start running to HR

Hi! you are welcome! I stay in eastern europe at the moment so unfortunately I dont have access to kinky curly and other good stuff,lots of women on hairboards complain about the white flakes too and apparently you have to use it with the kinky curly knot today leave-in to avoid that..for curl defination I heard aloe vera gel or ecostyler gel(used with on top of a leave in so you dont get hard hair)I have tried only aloe vera gel and while my curls very very defined they were really limp and just yucky looking..I have very fine hairstrands so tend to look for products that dont weigh my hair down.
I like herbal essences 'break's over',its got amazing slip and I use it as a detangler,leave-in,moisturiser!(like my products to multi task lol)..recently I also tried organix conditioners and it was just amazing as a co-wash..didnt work as a leave-in though.ORS replenishing pack is a great deep conditioner,didnt expect it to work so well.
Thanks for the headsup about cantu-was avbout to ask a friend to get me some from the uk ..

bnf84ofDakar

i have been thinking about going natural for i don't know how long and i have failed whenever i try i am lost and don't know what to do. People around me don't want to hear me saying i want to cut my hair they all go gagaga crazy. Although i have long hair they are not healthy and i just want to go back to my natural curly i don't know how so any tips from you fine ladies who have gone through it will be truly appreciated. thanks

Thickmadam

OHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHH!!
my sister, if you want to do it, go for it.
afterall no be dem dey help you manage your hair.

and don't think you will be confined to only twists and wash and gos, there's much more you can do with your hair.

besides if you don't like it, it will always grow back, no be hair?
i don't know where you live, but look/ask around to see if there's somebody who does natural hair.
you can put in braids and let your naturals grow out for a bit before cutting it.
Goodluck.

i have been thinking about going natural for i don't know how long and i have failed whenever i try i am lost and don't know what to do. People around me don't want to hear me saying i want to cut my hair they all go gagaga crazy. Although i have long hair they are not healthy and i just want to go back to my natural curly i don't know how so any tips from you fine ladies who have gone through it will be truly appreciated. thanks

bnf84ofDakar

my sister, if you want to do it, go for it.
afterall no be dem dey help you manage your hair.

and don't think you will be confined to only twists and wash and gos, there's much more you can do with your hair.

besides if you don't like it, it will always grow back, no be hair?
i don't know where you live, but look/ask around to see if there's somebody who does natural hair.
you can put in braids and let your naturals grow out for a bit before cutting it.
Goodluck.

thanks for the reply. so far it's been 5 months since i permed before that it was 6 months. i just got frustrated and gave up i live in brooklyn and you would think i'd find a hairstylist but no wherever i go i get the question 'so are you gonna cut all this hair of yours cause it's gonna be hard to twist it' like they are all lazy. But this time i have made up my mind i am going to braid it until march then get rid of the permed part. i am going back to the earlier posts on this thread and some youtube videos. yes i am ready

bluestocking

@BNF84, my advice is just do it. When I was about to go natural, people especially my sisters, kept trying to discourage me and used to call me crazy. At first I didn't relax my hair for 6 months but when I went to d salon to braid or fix cornrows, the hairdressers would make snide comments about how my hair was 'bad' 'too kinky' etc. I had to give in and go back to relaxers but after about 3 months, I finally gave in and just cut it off!
Three years later, out of my 5 sisters, 3 have cut their hair and are either sporting locs or afro, the other 2 are transitioning in preparation to go natural. I now wear almost shoulder length locs and everyday I go out, people stop me to ask how they can get locs like mine and when I tell them I locked it myself they practically beg me to help them start their locs.
I'm learning how to manage my hair everyday and I tell you the results are very fulfilling.

So, in short, go for it sister!

Thickmadam

OHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHH!!
Sis BNF I say go for it. I was very skeptical at first myself but I discovered this thread and finally took the plunge. I didn't transition so I went thru a phase where I didn't exactly fall in love with it but I haven't regretted it one bit. Bite the bullet and do it.

Thickmadam

OHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHH!!
Ladies, I discovered something.
if I apply eco styler olive oil gel to my hair (in small sections) my curl definition is out of this world.

bluestocking

To Loc or not to loc? My daughter has a really full head of thick, nappy hair. I've been fixing them mostly in afro puffs because the last time my sister braided the hair, it was too tight and the hair on her hairline pulled. So I decided not to plait or weave it anymore but just leave it as afro or fix those cute afro puffs with colourful hair bands. But it's time-consuming and when I leave it as afro, I get so many questions even from complete strangers about why I didn't plait her hair.
So now, i'm contemplating locking her hair as I have no plans of cutting it because she has such beautiful hair. I need your opinions, is it advisable to lock an 11 month-old baby's hair?

blackpearl

To Loc or not to loc? My daughter has a really full head of thick, nappy hair. I've been fixing them mostly in afro puffs because the last time my sister braided the hair, it was too tight and the hair on her hairline pulled. So I decided not to plait or weave it anymore but just leave it as afro or fix those cute afro puffs with colourful hair bands. But it's time-consuming and when I leave it as afro, I get so many questions even from complete strangers about why I didn't plait her hair.
So now, i'm contemplating locking her hair as I have no plans of cutting it because she has such beautiful hair. I need your opinions, is it advisable to lock an 11 month-old baby's hair?

I wouldn't lock it but then again it's your decisions. I think the puffs fit her very well!
Why not wait a bit more and then start platiing the hair again. You don't have to plait it that tough for her hairline to pull though. At least until the hair is strong enough.

Babyai

I wouldn't lock it but then again it's your decisions. I think the puffs fit her very well!
Why not wait a bit more and then start platiing the hair again. You don't have to plait it that tough for her hairline to pull though. At least until the hair is strong enough.

I totally agree.

Babyai

I totally agree with Bolanle but the decision is yours to make.