• Naija Rules! has been around since 2003, providing a hangout for the fans of Nigerian and African movies. Our members were in the forefront of the spread of movies from Africa to the world.

Cultural Genre Is More Popular

Status
Not open for further replies.

vince

in Austria.A lot of austrians love our movies but they want the ones that depict our traditions and culture and less the movies with more mordern and contemporary tales.
They are even beginning to talk about subtitled movies or synchronized ones in german.
Sola,is that doable?

Sola

Administrator
Staff member
As in subtitling? You know many of our products are already being subtitled. Let me know what you really mean by "doable".

Don't mind those people. They prefer those movies because it fits there steretypical image of Africa. When they say tradition and culture, it often means juju, villages, goat rearing, farming, river to fetch watter, etc. Tell them we also have cities and cars and skyscrapers.

No paddy for jungle. Make dem watch whatever is available jo!

vince

Don't mind those people jare.They also complained about the quality of the recording,but all in all they love our movies like mad.
I was thinking if the producers back home can subtitle naija movies coming to german speaking nations in german.That is what i meant by "doable".

Sola

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure they can, but there is no formal apparatus in place taking the movies to Germany. I doubt the boys are earning anything from the clubs and sales outlets in Germany, so where would the justification come from to have them do it? They have to be able to say "If I subtitle in German, this is the X amount I will make on top of what I am currently getting from Germany". Are they getting anything at all? And will they get more? That is the first business question they will ask. I don't see it happening until structures fall into place to export these movies in some organised fashion.

Aidemoi

sola, that's right most of the people that want those movie that depict naija cultrue, want it for the stereotype.even in the USA , a lot of naija people don join the queue, one of my uncles visited us on new year day and he was shocked to see a naija movie playing, said his kids don't believe any movie not in village scene is a naija movie, wonder what they think naija is.

vince, is naija movie really in high demand in Germany?by the way, i heard the place is tough for nigerians, especially non immigrants, wetin yu think?

vince

Actually,i'm in Austria,but german is spoken here too.
Sola,i think the industry should try and get in contact with the govt here to see if they can open a legitimate and authorised outlet for naija movies here.
They shouldn't just sit back there in naij and do nothing when there is a potential market out here.A lot of austrians are looking for alternative to hollywood.
It is time they start reaching out beyond naija border.I just feel i should bring this to their notice,that's all.

quote originally posted by Vince:
"in Austria.A lot of austrians love our movies but they want the ones that depict our traditions and culture and less the movies with more mordern and contemporary tales.
They are even beginning to talk about subtitled movies or synchronized ones in german.
Sola,is that doable?"

Vince, I think the best option of having German subtitles is to record on DVD that way there would automatically be various language options. Just curious, can we convert from vhs/vcd to DVD and Sola, it seems u know a lot of ppl in the industry, can u suggest to them that the movies would have more reach if the had DVDs. I mean Bollywood flicks are in both DVD and VHS AND trust me Naija is a consumption economy. I f one person does it and the quality is good & he makes money others will follow and ppl will get DVD players.

Status
Not open for further replies.