• Naija Rules! has been around since 2003, providing a hangout for the fans of Nigerian and African movies. Our members were in the forefront of the spread of movies from Africa to the world.

Do you over-analyse movies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sola

Administrator
Staff member
It becomes difficult to sit down to enjoy a movie as soon as you know the people in it personally or you have an idea how it was out together, from camera to editing, to marketing.

The knowledge gets in the way. I have to consciously tell my mind to shot up and just enjoy the movie. How is the effect going to wow you if you knew precisely how they generated it on the PC? Its so screwy. Shut up mind!

buky

I get tired of people telling me to shut up so they can enjoy a movie. I am too busy trying to figure out from the first scene how the movie will end and finishing the sentences (especially in Nigerian movies).

That is the bane of being in this business. It is impossible to turn off the actor in you and just enjoy a movie
Sometimes it is a drag but honestly, i will have it no other way.
My papa pay big money for me to study theatre arts .:) :)

Sola

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Naija Rules!, Buky! And since I know you as an actress, I know you're also joking! Ha ha!

vince

I know what you mean,sola.Ever since i got interested in how movies are made and i started writing scripts myself,i've found it difficult to be the ideal movie watcher!
Every movie to me is a study.I am forever looking at the graphics of the credits,listening to the soundtracks and movie scores,how they are applied to enhance scenes or sequences, and their overall effects,how they transit from one scene or sequence to the other,the editing style,the camera works,the shot designs,set designs and so on.I am forever rewinding to a particular shot or transition or acting style or dialogue etc just for analysis sake.The last thing i concentrate on is actually being the good old movie watcher:(
I watch hollywood movies just for these studies and less for the stories.My fav study film is the comedy "LIVING IN OBLIVION".
When i'm watching naija movies,i am forever looking out for mistakes and so on.They didn't do this right or that right.They should have done it like this or like that....
Men,i miss the days when i was just a watcher like most people!:(

Sola

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by vince

Men,i miss the days when i was just a watcher like most people!:(
Ha ha! I have to blank out to enjoy a movie now. E no easy o.

vince

I can still enjoy a movie sha.But i have to watch it more than once.The first time,i analyse and study.The second time i really watch.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.