• Naija Rules! has been around since 2003, providing a hangout for the fans of Nigerian and African movies. Our members were in the forefront of the spread of movies from Africa to the world.

Guilty Pleasures

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbutterfly

Abeg, who was the guy who played Nse's best guy friend? CHEI!!! I loved the scene between him and Ramsey, mannnnnnnnnnnnnn Ramsey just decimated the man in that scene, just made him a complete nonentity! He made him a nonentity as Teslo to the bobo's character as the best friend but as an actor to an actor...showed him who the top dog was both in the scene but also as an actor to an actor. It was simulataneously beautiful and pitiful to watch! It was akin to watching a fight between a heavy weight and a feather/welter weight, totally unfair but you can't take your eyes off the carnage.

nike007

Ok....i am watching this movie..i know, i know...i am a buzzkill...but naija we really need to learn to kiss...abeg..abeg..abeg...maybe Genevieve Nnaji and Majid Micheal need to organize workshops...but the scene at the beggining with MJ and omoni's hubby (MJ, abeg no shave ur head again...u ain't got nothing on alex wek) Was horrible...Jeez...na so una dey kiss for naija..and wats wit the loud orgasmic-moaning...una neva even start!!...ok lemme get back..will update as i go along
"meks me wanna tap dat azz" ...wow...

mamazita!

Thanks a lot. I gave the movie 4.5/10. It is not deserving to be on Jja theatres...IMHO. I thought the same thing about the movie too. The story just didn't 'click' for me.

You stand to be corrected by more intelligent reviewers Madame!
Guilty Pleasures | Nigerian Entertainment Today
Be sure to read the comments by the DVD dealer after her review. I swear sometimes you people just talk out of your behind sometimes! Ptcheeeeeew!

funmo

GOD pikin!
Be sure to read the comments by the DVD dealer after her review. I swear sometimes you people just talk out of your behind sometimes! Ptcheeeeeew!

First of all, far as I know, that dvd dealer is a pirate, or am I wrong? I am always trying to collect names of legit dealers, so if he is for real, abeg let me know.

2ndly, and I write this as a consumer, do not brush aside anyone's criticism. While I would not rate it as low as that - I have seen far worse, trust me - it did have a lot of flaws. What you need to do, instead of getting mad, is look at the substantive points behind the low rating and take them into consideration for the next movie. And while the reviewer you pointed us to writes beautifully, its still just her opinion.

Most people who have complained about the movie say the same thing - part 1 was problematic in many ways and some of your supporting cast - esp Rukky Sanda and the other dude who played Nse's best friend, were just not good.

That is fact. Take the criticism and learn from it. It says something that we are all willing to spend time and money to buy the movie. It means we are fans. And when we review and criticize, its because a) we want value for money and b) we want you to get better.

So please, don't take it personally. I personally love having someone connected to the movies here, but it would be a tragedy if you just take the good reviews and ignore the bad. There is truth in them all.

toammyb

Born to lead and follow
first of all, far as i know, that dvd dealer is a pirate, or am i wrong? I am always trying to collect names of legit dealers, so if he is for real, abeg let me know.

2ndly, and i write this as a consumer, do not brush aside anyone's criticism. While i would not rate it as low as that - i have seen far worse, trust me - it did have a lot of flaws. What you need to do, instead of getting mad, is look at the substantive points behind the low rating and take them into consideration for the next movie. And while the reviewer you pointed us to writes beautifully, its still just her opinion.

Most people who have complained about the movie say the same thing - part 1 was problematic in many ways and some of your supporting cast - esp rukky sanda and the other dude who played nse's best friend, were just not good.

That is fact. Take the criticism and learn from it. It says something that we are all willing to spend time and money to buy the movie. It means we are fans. And when we review and criticize, its because a) we want value for money and b) we want you to get better.

So please, don't take it personally. I personally love having someone connected to the movies here, but it would be a tragedy if you just take the good reviews and ignore the bad. There is truth in them all.

:love001: Beautifully written :)

KikisMuffin

I no get ya time!!

Sorry, that reviewer doesnt give a better or more intelligent review than anyone here! Unless your own definition of intelligence is when a review is only slanted positively towards the movie? Joke!

I swear sometimes I wish nollywood practicioners would pull their heads out of their asses and take criticism in all shapes and forms for what it is.

KikisMuffin

I no get ya time!!
First of all, far as I know, that dvd dealer is a pirate, or am I wrong? I am always trying to collect names of legit dealers, so if he is for real, abeg let me know.

2ndly, and I write this as a consumer, do not brush aside anyone's criticism. While I would not rate it as low as that - I have seen far worse, trust me - it did have a lot of flaws. What you need to do, instead of getting mad, is look at the substantive points behind the low rating and take them into consideration for the next movie. And while the reviewer you pointed us to writes beautifully, its still just her opinion.

Most people who have complained about the movie say the same thing - part 1 was problematic in many ways and some of your supporting cast - esp Rukky Sanda and the other dude who played Nse's best friend, were just not good.

Thank you! I believe there is a recurring theme as to the pros and cons of this movie by most of the posts here. Its constructive enough,if taken in good faith by the film maker.

mamazita!

Sorry, that reviewer doesnt give a better or more intelligent review than anyone here! Unless your own definition of intelligence is when a review is only slanted positively towards the movie? Joke!

I swear sometimes I wish nollywood practicioners would pull their heads out of their asses and take criticism in all shapes and forms for what it is.

And I wish some consumers would give some constructive criticism and not downright dumb hating! Jeeze!

barbarellanoir

My dearest Mamazita....First of all, I loved Guilty Pleasures, and I'm a huge, make that Megahuge Emen Isong fan. I purchase my own movies, and have them sent to me from Nigeria as well. I DO NOT bootleg any movie, and watch stuff online. That being said.it's not dumb hating to say that rukky Sanda, and Nse's friend were not good choices for the movie...they were tres terrible...I say this in the sincerest way. I'm a creative person as well, and YES it doesn't feel good when someone says they don't like what you crafted, BUT if you cannot learn from the criticism of those who can see the Forest AND the trees, you WILL remain stagnant, or become irrelevant. Susan Peters, Ufuoma Ejenobor, Ene Miltex Ogiri, could have been used instead of Rukky, and Michael Okon, or Yul Edochie could have played Nse's friend...they can act, and are believable....real talk.

I usually ride for you, but the "downright dumb hating!" comment was too broad and sweeping for me to ignore.

mamazita!

My dearest Mamazita....First of all, I loved Guilty Pleasures, and I'm a huge, make that Megahuge Emen Isong fan. I purchase my own movies, and have them sent to me from Nigeria as well. I DO NOT bootleg any movie, and watch stuff online. That being said.it's not dumb hating to say that rukky Sanda, and Nse's friend were not good choices for the movie...they were tres terrible...I say this in the sincerest way. I'm a creative person as well, and YES it doesn't feel good when someone says they don't like what you crafted, BUT if you cannot learn from the criticism of those who can see the Forest AND the trees, you WILL remain stagnant, or become irrelevant. Susan Peters, Ufuoma Ejenobor, Ene Miltex Ogiri, could have been used instead of Rukky, and Michael Okon, or Yul Edochie could have played Nse's friend...they can act, and are believable....real talk.

I usually ride for you, but the "downright dumb hating!" comment was too broad and sweeping for me to ignore.

@ Barbarellanoir where for the life of me did I ever say Rukky's acting was great? Saying The film was a 'snoozefest' and other derogatory names was also 'too sweeping and broad for me' t o ignore! If you check the post from the onset you will see that I highlighted that part where Zelifa said the film is not worthy to be seen in a cinema house in naija! That I felt was a tad harsh and was pure hating, if anything! I know there are some flaws... who is perfect? But it was not that bad. I have seen much worse. That is why I had to direct her to the reviews by a usually tough, well respected critic, Joy Bewaji who usually doesnt spare Nollywood movies. There really is nothing like the cinema experience. Watching GP in the cinemaplex multipled the intense feelings that the movie brings out in you. So I didnt say the film was perfect just that criticism should be constructive and if it is, then ofcourse we will note it and put it in mind. But Im not going to keep quiet and take yap when an obvious good work is being rubbished. (And no I am not Emem Isong! )Which mother will keep quiet when you say her baby is ugly? She will at least explain how baby's face got that way! (it was from the father's side....lol!):nature-sm

barbarellanoir

@ Barbarellanoir where for the life of me did I ever say Rukky's acting was great? Saying The film was a 'snoozefest' and other derogatory names was also 'too sweeping and broad for me' t o ignore! If you check the post from the onset you will see that I highlighted that part where Zelifa said the film is not worthy to be seen in a cinema house in naija! That I felt was a tad harsh and was pure hating, if anything! I know there are some flaws... who is perfect? But it was not that bad. I have seen much worse. That is why I had to direct her to the reviews by a usually tough, well respected critic, Joy Bewaji who usually doesnt spare Nollywood movies. There really is nothing like the cinema experience. Watching GP in the cinemaplex multipled the intense feelings that the movie brings out in you. So I didnt say the film was perfect just that criticism should be constructive and if it is, then ofcourse we will note it and put it in mind. But Im not going to keep quiet and take yap when an obvious good work is being rubbished. (And no I am not Emem Isong! )Which mother will keep quiet when you say her baby is ugly? She will at least explain how baby's face got that way! (it was from the father's side....lol!):nature-sm

No problem:D.

moviewizard

I was about to respond but u said all i needed to say. God bless you. Pls Mamazzita, i know its hard to take some harsh responses from fans which is inevitable in any creative business. People would praise your work, rubbish it sometimes but you need to learn to take it well, some of these people buy the movies with their money and i feel they have a right to call it "shit" if they please. If you cant stand the heat, then you get out of the kitchen. If you cant stand people's harsh remarks, then stop making movies. I thought "I am Legend" with Will smith was a great flick, but come see as people pieces the film onine, how man go do?

Coming here and acting angry over one comment is so petty cos you dont expect everyone to like it, you dont expect everyone to even pass minor negative comments, some would see nothing good about it. As one of the writers of the movie, mamazzita(Bola Aduwo), correct me if am wrong, you should learn to handle criticisms from all corners just like you take all the praise and glory. Afterall customers are always right (and the costumers are the consumers).

gugu

I just watched this movie, and was not impressed with the story at all. A lot of drama in part 2. Emem can do better, and has done so in the past.

The acting by Majid, Nse, and Ramsey was good. The role they created for Mercy was lousy, for such a talented actress. There was really only one story line - Majid, Ramsey, and Nse - not interesting or creative.

mamazita!

I just watched this movie, and was not impressed with the story at all. A lot of drama in part 2. Emem can do better, and has done so in the past.

The acting by Majid, Nse, and Ramsey was good. The role they created for Mercy was lousy, for such a talented actress. There was really only one story line - Majid, Ramsey, and Nse - not interesting or creative.

To each his own.... osondi owendi....different strokes for different folks......sometimes I wish you would walk a mile in some of these producers shoes to see whether film making in Nigeria na yam! Im yet the see the movie you so called critics are yet to produce. Chei!

N

naijafinest

The movie was alright...nothing spectacular. It felt like something I've seen before.

barbarellanoir

To each his own.... osondi owendi....different strokes for different folks......sometimes I wish you would walk a mile in some of these producers shoes to see whether film making in Nigeria na yam! Im yet the see the movie you so called critics are yet to produce. Chei!

Mamazita, you have to be able to take criticism...If she's comparing this movie with Emem's older work, it's obvious, that she's watched her work. Everyone will not like everything...You simply cannot please everybody, but when a supporter gives their critique, paying attention would not be a bad thing. I was on facebook, and Tchidi Chikere, was very upset about what a couple of bloggers said about his work, and I could tell that it struck a nerve, because he rarely posts...One of the best comments, I read was from someone who told him to keep working with passion, honesty, and respect for your viewers, and those critiques will turn to praises ( the thread was deleted shortly after)....my two rusty cents.

mamazita!

Mamazita, you have to be able to take criticism...If she's comparing this movie with Emem's older work, it's obvious, that she's watched her work. Everyone will not like everything...You simply cannot please everybody, but when a supporter gives their critique, paying attention would not be a bad thing. I was on facebook, and Tchidi Chikere, was very upset about what a couple of bloggers said about his work, and I could tell that it struck a nerve, because he rarely posts...One of the best comments, I read was from someone who told him to keep working with passion, honesty, and respect for your viewers, and those critiques will turn to praises ( the thread was deleted shortly after)....my two rusty cents.

My dear Barbarellanoir.... we are all human. No one enjoys criticism even you!But we are willing to accept it if it is sincere and not said with obvious beef!Tchidi is one of the hardest working producers in Nollywood, working under dire conditions. He should get upset when one little 17yr whose dad is still paying her bills says his film is a 'snoozefest'! And some of these so-called 'critics' are so petty and downright ridiculous!
If Ramsey speaks well he is a said to be speaking with a 'fake britico-Americano accent! If he speaks normally he is said to be razz! Anyway all dat one na for pocket! Most of you watch the films online for free anyway so how does your criticism affect the price of fish? If you like.. watch, if you like ...dont watch...you cant compete with 150 million nigerians who BUY it and watch it, mediocrity and all! That is not to say one will not improve on their work. To each his own! Osondi Owendi.... :cool:

Sola

Administrator
Staff member
17yr whose dad is still paying her bills says his film is a 'snoozefest'!
So she shouldn't have an opinion because her dad is paying her bills? Even a babe can have an opinion and you should suck it up, even if you don't like it. Its called being in the public sphere.
And some of these so-called 'critics' are so petty and downright ridiculous!
But the same critics are on point when all they have is praise? Negative criticism comes with the territory Mama. If you have issues with this one place, and this is just the beginning, what are you going to do when the river becomes an ocean?
Most of you watch the films online for free anyway so how does your criticism affect the price of fish?
It is sad that you're saying this, although we should be glad you're not speaking for industry officially. The main preachment on this website is education urging folks to avoid pirated products and online robbers. All links to places like that are disallowed. Their names are not even mentioned, all in the effort to ensure they receive no promotion here. The fact that it is the norm elsewhere does not mean it is here.
If you like.. watch, if you like ...dont watch...
As long as you throw that product into a free market, you have no control over what we do. If you don't like ALL comments, then stop working in home movies.
you cant compete with 150 million nigerians who BUY it and watch it, mediocrity and all!
They do? I wonder why the market has been complaining lately of terrible sale. Even the market at home is beginning to ask questions and ask for a little more, Mama. You know that...
That is not to say one will not improve on their work.
Ah, now we're having a conversation...:)

Candylecious

Na today!
Review of the Movie Guilty Pleasures
By Ms Jenifa aka Ayetoro 1

Okay...I haf wash dat mofie oh...and yelz I tink iris the best mofie of the year, becos is like....you know..jus oushhhhhhhh!...so nice!...

For my fushure, I will likes to be a bigz gyals likes the wife of Ramsey in the mofie...becos is like she was schopping with her frens and being a bigz gyals...and den dey doing parry ehn....

WATCH OUT FOR PART 2 OF THE REVIEW

:laugh:...abeg makers of the movie, make una no vex oh...the movie was wonderful...Ramsey's accent was perfect...the storyline was tres magnifique, in short na Oscar for best international movie this one go win...Everybody happy?

Now how do I get in touch with Tchidi and tell him his movie was fabulous too(although I havent seen it)...

Status
Not open for further replies.