• Naija Rules! has been around since 2003, providing a hangout for the fans of Nigerian and African movies. Our members were in the forefront of the spread of movies from Africa to the world.

Guilty Pleasures

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojo

Saw the movies and just loved , loved, loved it. This is what am talking about. The kind of movies nollywood should be producing. Ramsey really did his thing. He has really improved, big time. Even Majid (never really been a fan) impressed me. The cast was awesome. I loved the movie. The costumes everything. Waoh. Emem and Desmond have something going here. I give the movie a 10. Keep up the good work. can't wait for their next collabo.

zelifat

Waoh! I'm wondering if I actually watched the same movie??? Guilty pleasure for me was very flat. Did not connect with the story and characters at all. The only scene that got my attention was the last two scenes with Nse and Ramsey. Also the scene Ramsey knocked out Majid...lol. Ramsey was really good in this scene.

I loved Nse to bits and praised her to high heavens in Reloaded (She was the best part of Reloaded, IMHO). However, she missed the road in interpreting this character. There was no depth and no nuanced portrayal like she achieved in Reloaded.

Majid was okay in some bits and just no magic in others. He's one to watch though, cos there are sparks of true talent in there. He'll learn a lot from Ramsey who seems to be getting better like old wine and developing this matured, sexy vibe as against the Loverboy nonsense of yester-years that just used to put me off. He is a man's man now. Me likes!

Omoni/Rukky/Mercy were wasted in this movie. Rukky wasn't as bad as usual but she's not winning an award anytime soon. Her fake eyelashes were so garish- a major distraction. Nse's contact was also off for me......I wish these characters would just braid their hair or leave it natural....Tired of seeing poorly done weave (If I can see the point where your hair stops and the weave starts...that's a good sign. They should all get the tel #s of Genny and Stella Damasus' hair dressers-most times these two get the hair thing right!

Back to the movie. The plot with Omoni-Her husband( Dude cannot act to save his soul) and Mercy was just so weak and even cannot hold as a subplot. They should have deleted that whole storyline and erased these characters and Nse/Ramsey/Majid's story would stand on its own.

Surprised it was Doris Simeon's spouse that directed this. Actually love his previous jobs but this one...errrrgh! There was something just so off about this movie. I wanted to love it but I just couldn't. I'm deleting it off my list of keepers. Saw some clipses of Omotola's Mind Game....definitely passing on that one. Still waiting to see Izu Ojukwu's Cindy's Notes and Secret Scandal starring the delectable Genny. I'm looking for 9ja movies that I'll connect with, no time for jaku jaku.....Rewatched Rising Sun and Warrior's Heart, both starring Genny and I still loved those movies even after so many years. I'm looking for rewatchable movies.....Any ideas????

Overall, I give it a 4.5/10.

blackpearl

Waoh! I'm wondering if I actually watched the same movie??? Guilty pleasure for me was very flat. Did not connect with the story and characters at all. The only scene that got my attention was the last two scenes with Nse and Ramsey. Also the scene Ramsey knocked out Majid...lol. Ramsey was really good in this scene.

I loved Nse to bits and praised her to high heavens in Reloaded (She was the best part of Reloaded, IMHO). However, she missed the road in interpreting this character. There was no depth and no nuanced portrayal like she achieved in Reloaded.

Majid was okay in some bits and just no magic in others. He's one to watch though, cos there are sparks of true talent in there. He'll learn a lot from Ramsey who seems to be getting better like old wine and developing this matured, sexy vibe as against the Loverboy nonsense of yester-years that just used to put me off. He is a man's man now. Me likes!

Omoni/Rukky/Mercy were wasted in this movie. Rukky wasn't as bad as usual but she's not winning an award anytime soon. Her fake eyelashes were so garish- a major distraction. Nse's contact was also off for me......I wish these characters would just braid their hair or leave it natural....Tired of seeing poorly done weave (If I can see the point where your hair stops and the weave starts...that's a good sign. They should all get the tel #s of Genny and Stella Damasus' hair dressers-most times these two get the hair thing right!

Back to the movie. The plot with Omoni-Her husband( Dude cannot act to save his soul) and Mercy was just so weak and even cannot hold as a subplot. They should have deleted that whole storyline and erased these characters and Nse/Ramsey/Majid's story would stand on its own.

Surprised it was Doris Simeon's spouse that directed this. Actually love his previous jobs but this one...errrrgh! There was something just so off about this movie. I wanted to love it but I just couldn't. I'm deleting it off my list of keepers. Saw some clipses of Omotola's Mind Game....definitely passing on that one. Still waiting to see Izu Ojukwu's Cindy's Notes and Secret Scandal starring the delectable Genny. I'm looking for 9ja movies that I'll connect with, no time for jaku jaku.....Rewatched Rising Sun and Warrior's Heart, both starring Genny and I still loved those movies even after so many years. I'm looking for rewatchable movies.....Any ideas????

Overall, I give it a 4.5/10.

God go just butter your bread! The movies is just OK.

Oh ...started cindy's notes yesterday and so far so good, it is a nice story....

zelifat

God go just butter your bread! The movies is just OK.

Oh ...started cindy's notes yesterday and so far so good, it is a nice story....

Abeg, where u dey (Hopefully North America)... I want to buy Cindy's Note. Can u help? For some reason, I haven't seen in Toronto.

BabyP

OK, I saw this movie and may I say... I loved it. It was really entertaining.
Ramsey... wow! u are the man and he was looking sexy in this movie
Nse, girl u are stepping up ur game. Am really impressed
Majid, well I for one never really cared for his acting but this movie made me see some potential. If he continues this way, I might actually warm up to him
Mercy,Mercy,Mercy... now this girl has got it. She takes on any role and makes it hers. Talk about acting psycho!!!
Omoni(hope I spelt it rite) She was ok, not much to say about her and same to the guy who acted her husband (although I most say his facial expressions where on point)
Like alot of people said already, Part 1 was kinda slow but picked up in part 2. They also should have just focused on the Ramsey,Nse story cause Mercy and the others story was kinda weak.
Overall, good watch and I don't really rate movies but I will give this a 7.5/10.
Like the previews in movies, I will say "Grab your Copy Now"...lol

Candylecious

Na today!
I dont really watch Nigerian movies anymore unless they are comedies, but because of all the hype about this movie here, I decided to watch with my friend yesterday.

First off, I dont mean to hate in any form. I give kudos to those who are back home doing what it do. It's easy for a lot of us to get on our high horses and deride people's work disregarding the sweat, blood and tears it took to make that piece. So in all honesty, I doff my hat to the makers of these home videos, e no easy!

But common, this movie wasnt that great....I kept hanging in and waiting for the magic I heard about....but the magic no dey gree show...na the same movie I watch una watch so...hehe!

I didnt think Ramsey was that great in the movie, he was quite stiff and boring to watch, cos you almost knew what he was going to say or do....

I saw bits of another movie where Nse was paired with Ramsey too, and I must say she was surprisingly delightful...but here not so much, a lot of her lines and scenes fell flat...

But that Majid tho...this is the first I have seen him act, and although he was not always on point, but there were specks of magic there...dude has potential; right directing, right cast and he will blow......He exudes raw talent that just needs to be harnessed......it seems to be the era of the light skinned dudes!...shoot!, I aint mad at that!

Desmond Elliott was a little scary in this one!

The rest of the cast should have been left at home.......Mehn, if I had to see Ms Sandals roll her fake eyelashes one more time, I swear, I would barf; half the time she looked like a deer caught in some really bright lights......Mercy's scenes made me cringe; dunno if it was her or the role she had to play...I dont even know why that other girl's story was thrown in there, that story did nothing for the movie......Her husband on the other hand left me with mixed feelings; some scenes he did alright, and then some others, he was clueless....

The sidekicks dont even deserve to be mentioned......I often wonder what unneccessary sidekicks add to a movie....hmmm!...although the girls that played Nse's friends were pretty...at least 2 out of the 3 were....Ramsey's friends were just dreadful....

Another thing that bothered me was the overphonerizing in the movie...Hugo, Nse's friend almost swallowed his tongue in the scene where he was confronting Ramsey...Most of them seemed to be spotting a Britico/American/Iranian combo accent...Na dem sabi!

The dialogue in the movie didnt flow....some of the special effects were just weird....It all seemed a bit contrived...

My highlights would have to be Nse and Majid's kiss on the floor....mui caliente! and Nse's pidgin english ( a little of Majid's as well); the pidgin done well!

I really wish Nolly and it's practitioners the very best. Hopefully, they can continue to grow and get better.

Eee

Buy it first, then you can watch it in your house.

You?!You kill me.What part of my advance warning did you miss:sport-smi.

"Nyways, I just watched the movie and loved it.Tres Nice. Move over Mercy Johnson, Nse is new kid on the block:p

mulan

This movie did nothing for me, splitting the story into two scattered my attention and it didn't help that the sub-plot and it's actors were clueless. And please what is wrong with Ramsey? The guy can't talk anymore? Abeg! And then that last scene, I felt like slapping somebody. Who wrote this script?

Eee

This movie did nothing for me, splitting the story into two scattered my attention and it didn't help that the sub-plot and it's actors were clueless. And please what is wrong with Ramsey? The guy can't talk anymore? Abeg! And then that last scene, I felt like slapping somebody. Who wrote this script?

Multitasking does nothing for you aye?

KikisMuffin

I no get ya time!!
I watched it last night.zzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzz

A snoozefest!

Maybe if I hadn't already watched the movie by reading this thread :-)rolleyes:) it may have been better?

Anyway part 2 got a bit more interesting but Prt1 was a complete sleeper.

Nse's acting to me wasn't very good, her transitions between different emotions from scene to scene were sloppy(same problem I had with her in Reloaded). I actually thought she did better in Reloaded actually.

Ramsey was competent, Majid was all over the place and Mercy Johnson irritates me these days for no reason, I ff most of her scenes with that bobo and the annoying girl they cast as his wife, and never really got into that side of the flick.

There was something lacking as we moved from scene to scene.... For want of a better word I'd call it a lack of Cohesion as the story went by.It never quite came together, despite its "predictableness"(I mean even if you're not a brain surgeon it shouldn't take anyone 5 seconds to figure out what's gonna go down the minute Bobby lands in Naija!)

Score: 4.85/10 (2.85 for that Majid Nse kiss alone, that was effing hot!)

zelifat

I watched it last night.zzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzz

A snoozefest!

Maybe if I hadn't already watched the movie by reading this thread :-)rolleyes:) it may have been better?

Anyway part 2 got a bit more interesting but Prt1 was a complete sleeper.

Nse's acting to me wasn't very good, her transitions between different emotions from scene to scene were sloppy(same problem I had with her in Reloaded). I actually thought she did better in Reloaded actually.

Ramsey was competent, Majid was all over the place and Mercy Johnson irritates me these days for no reason, I ff most of her scenes with that bobo and the annoying girl they cast as his wife, and never really got into that side of the flick.

There was something lacking as we moved from scene to scene.... For want of a better word I'd call it a lack of Cohesion as the story went by.It never quite came together, despite its "predictableness"(I mean even if you're not a brain surgeon it shouldn't take anyone 5 seconds to figure out what's gonna go down the minute Bobby lands in Naija!)

Score: 4.85/10 (2.85 for that Majid Nse kiss alone, that was effing hot!)

Thanks a lot. I gave the movie 4.5/10. It is not deserving to be on Jja theatres...IMHO. I thought the same thing about the movie too. The story just didn't 'click' for me.
The characters were so inconsistent and all over the place. Emem should learn to do a simple story justice by developing it properly. There was just TOO much going on, too many unnecessary people....the movie use style give me bad headache....lol

BTW, I watched Cindy's Notes and that is a story very well told. Bhaira McNwaizu (sp ??) nailed it to a Tee. Clem Ohaneze, the guy that played the principal, Nonso Diobi.......the director got out the best from everyone. Izu Ojukwu is offically my best 9ja director for now. He is an intelligent film maker and those are not common. Talk about using

KikisMuffin

I no get ya time!!
Thanks Zelifat for the heads up on Cindy's note, I'll try and watch it soonest.

Seriously though Emem's schtick is getting really old.She needs a new angle. I didn't enjoy this one, at all

michelin89

BBB: Black, Bold & Bulgy
I watched this movie yesterday and I am in love with Nse (no lesbo). She is beautiful and so so charming. I just loved her acting, her dressing and her make up. I loved the pair Ramsey-Nse. The movie was really nice.

However 'd have preferred the movie to concentrate only on Ramsey and Nse. They tried the parallel storylines but I felt it wasn't a balanced narration.

blackbutterfly

He always talks that way. I have never heard him speaking with the Nigerian thick accent.

Anyways I am getting used to it....I guess.

Naw ah...mba my sister, it was WORSE in this particular movie, he was really leaning into it more than usual...so emphatically that it was quite distracting. I know he was playing an uptight, aristocratic type character but mannnnnnnnn it was so much so that even my non Nigerian boyfriend was like "what's with this guy's accents...isn't this supposed to be a Nigerian film?"

michelin89

BBB: Black, Bold & Bulgy
Naw ah...mba my sister, it was WORSE in this particular movie, he was really leaning into it more than usual...so emphatically that it was quite distracting. I know he was playing an uptight, aristocratic type character but mannnnnnnnn it was so much so that even my non Nigerian boyfriend was like "what's with this guy's accents...isn't this supposed to be a Nigerian film?"

Ahahahha I loved the way his wife always brought him back to Earth by throwing some pigdin expressions. :teu26:

Haba he dey form oyinbo but he could still understand our undergroud broken English.

Status
Not open for further replies.