• Naija Rules! has been around since 2003, providing a hangout for the fans of Nigerian and African movies. Our members were in the forefront of the spread of movies from Africa to the world.

I Petitioned ESPN over Ian Darke's Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

His Majesty

The Prince & Princess
I Petitioned ESPN over Ian Darke's Comments /South African fans boos for Suarez

Here's my petition

I write to strongly protest some of Mr Ian Darke comments at the just concluded 2010 FIFA World Cup tournament in South Africa.

Permit me to refresh your memory. After winning its game against Uruguay, Ghana was forced to try to win it a second time with penalty kicks. Unfortunately for them they were not able to pull it off. While international correctness dictated that most commentators uttered platitudes about how Uruguay’s victory was “well earned,” the truth of the matter is that an act of blatant, purposeful cheating has yet again delivered victory to a team in an international competition.

But what I found most appalling is Mr Ian Darke having the audacity to insult thousands of soccer fans who were rightly booing the cheat, Luis Suarez. According to Mr Darke, the people that were booing Shuarez in the crowd don't know anything about football. This is rich coming from an English man....the country who, to this day, still lament Diego Maradona's "hand-of-god" goal. And don't forget that the same English media literally crucified Thierry Henry for his handball against Ireland.

Yes, the rules were followed and the outcome cannot be contested, but in the end It’s a sad day for Ghana, and a day for reflection by most soccer fans. And for Mr Darke to insult these fans is just too appalling. I hope that ESPN would do the right thing by publicly relieving Ian Darke of his job. His double standard is an insult to all the fair minded people of the world.

And don't forget that Mr Darke very harshly criticized the referee Koman Koulibaly for mistakes he unintentionally committed! Now if he can use his medium to do that, then why is he getting on the fans for using their stage to boo at Luis Suarez for the illegal, deliberate offense he committed?? Hence, Mr Darke has abuse his office and ought to be let go.

I sincerely await your immediate attention to this matter.

Thank you all very much.

Yours sincerely,
(name withheld)

His Majesty

The Prince & Princess
And here's the quick response from Russel

A note from Don:

I cannot respond personally to all the mail I receive, but I do read and take note of all complaints. When the complaints are specific to a show or to an article on espn.com, I forward them to the producer or editor in charge of that content. When there are several complaints on the same topic, I do a weekly tabulation that becomes part of a report sent to all of ESPN's top management. (I do the same for positive comments.) I cannot assure you that your complaints or mine will result in action, but I can assure you they are not lost in some cyberspace void. They are read, thought about, disseminated.

Thank you,
Don Ohlmeyer

Russell Goldstein
Assistant to the ESPN Ombudsman

espn.feedback@gmail.com

Click here for the ombudsman archive

barbarellanoir

Ian is an ass....he made an ignorant comment about a Guatemalan ref not being good enough for the world cup. All my Latin friends were sending some not so positive vibes his way.

His Majesty

The Prince & Princess
Ian is an ass....he made an ignorant comment about a Guatemalan ref not being good enough for the world cup. All my Latin friends were sending some not so positive vibes his way.
Good. I posted this thread on ghanaweb as well, and many of them are jumping onto the bandwagon - sending letters to ESPN as well. Trust me, ESPN should take action if many people complain about the same thing. These people live and die with rating, so they are always cautious not to offend their viewers.

Field Marshal

ABSOLUTE SUPREME RULER

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard him say that during the world cup, either!

barbarellanoir

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard him say that during the world cup, either!

I couldn't either, and the spanish gentleman on the panel looked at him like DA HEYULL????.....do you think that because i'm from Spain, I won't be offended?...He asked Ian if he had anything else to get off his chest....He is a legend/authority in his own mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.