• Naija Rules! has been around since 2003, providing a hangout for the fans of Nigerian and African movies. Our members were in the forefront of the spread of movies from Africa to the world.

Paranoia or Technology or perhaps both??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaymax

OK, I started using chrome as my browser on my new laptop, which I love BTW. But folks check this out, it seems like when I get on, the ads that I see are in relation to what I previously did a search for or similar to a page I visit.

This weekend, I did some research on building my own site, and all of a sudden, all these website builder companies pop up yesterday and today!! I did a search on designer consignment boutiques, and even on NR this morning, a very high end consignment boutique pops up here on NR!!! That's never happened before.

So is it me or is this another way Google is invading my privacy. Do I now have to even watch what i research?

kaymax

OH MY, this is just too much. I'm going back to firefox. Haba, this is ridiculous. Opting out of EVERYTHING right now. So does that mean that say Sifu, or TM would see different ads on NR than I would? That's rather cool though. no wonder their stock is almost $700!!!! actually it peaked it already. Hot damn!!!

Sola

Administrator
Staff member
So does that mean that say Sifu, or TM would see different ads on NR than I would?
Everyone sees a different ad on ALL WEBSITES. That's how the advertisers make their money on the web. Have you been living under a rock? It doesn't matter what browser you use though...Its just crazier in Chrome. Don't you use Gmail?

Look, the reality of it is that EVERYTHING you do online can be tracked. Its just that no one pays attention to you because you're not doing anything cagey. Don't worry, unless you stop using the web, you can't escape it.

kaymax

Everyone sees a different ad on ALL WEBSITES. That's how the advertisers make their money on the web. Have you been living under a rock? It doesn't matter what browser you use though...Its just crazier in Chrome. Don't you use Gmail?

Look, the reality of it is that EVERYTHING you do online can be tracked. Its just that no one pays attention to you because you're not doing anything cagey. Don't worry, unless you stop using the web, you can't escape it.

I must have changed my address to undertherock, NW, because I honestly did not know. I knew that certain ads come up at different times it seemed, but certainly not 'personalized' ads.

I do use Gmail and now that you have mentioned it, the ads are quite telling. I guess perhaps I noticed it this because I'm using a new PC.

Thickmadam

OHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHH!!
hahaha welcome to my world.
you mean you've missed all those posts of me complaining and expressing shock at this phenomena?
i hadn't paid attention to the ads, but i did in a hurry when i noticed that in an email conversation with my sister, the specific thing we were talking about kept on popping up in ads. i was (and still am) perturbed by that.

and another instance, one of my lawyer friends and i were discussing something...and next thing i knew, all these ads for lawyers were popping up.

i hate it.

OK, I started using chrome as my browser on my new laptop, which I love BTW. But folks check this out, it seems like when I get on, the ads that I see are in relation to what I previously did a search for or similar to a page I visit.

This weekend, I did some research on building my own site, and all of a sudden, all these website builder companies pop up yesterday and today!! I did a search on designer consignment boutiques, and even on NR this morning, a very high end consignment boutique pops up here on NR!!! That's never happened before.

So is it me or is this another way Google is invading my privacy. Do I now have to even watch what i research?

blackpearl

Chrome gave me series of headaches. That browser had to go ASAP!!!

Nothing can seperate me from Firefox for now.

Field Marshal

ABSOLUTE SUPREME RULER

Imagine if you had Googled "Well endowed male strippers" and ya Oga borrow ya LapTop afterwards!!

vince

Noticed this phenomenon a while back and also found it unsettling at first. Now i kind of expect it. After having done a lot of researching on the net around PC building, online PC shop ads now follow me everywhere i go no matter which browser i use and i use many.

kaymax

Noticed this phenomenon a while back and also found it unsettling at first. Now i kind of expect it. After having done a lot of researching on the net around PC building, online PC shop ads now follow me everywhere i go no matter which browser i use and i use many.

Yeah, that is what bugs me is that it does not matter which browser you use. Seriously, I find it quite invasive.

Imagine if you had Googled Well endowed male strippers and ya Oga borrow ya LapTop afterwards!!

My 'Oga' knows me too well, nothing surprises him anymore!!! LOL

Chrome gave me series of headaches. That browser had to go ASAP!!!

Nothing can seperate me from Firefox for now.

I used to use FF as well, until I got my new PC and my brother set it up and beefed it up for me and put Chrome. I love it more than FF, it seems like security is better, but at what price?

hahaha welcome to my world.
you mean you've missed all those posts of me complaining and expressing shock at this phenomena?
i hadn't paid attention to the ads, but i did in a hurry when i noticed that in an email conversation with my sister, the specific thing we were talking about kept on popping up in ads. i was (and still am) perturbed by that.

and another instance, one of my lawyer friends and i were discussing something...and next thing i knew, all these ads for lawyers were popping up.

i hate it.

I'm not sure I'm crazy about it either. It's just scary!! No privacy anywhere, Imagine if I want to google an 'adult themed' topic, what do I do?

ssergit

..still The Drama Queen!

Brace up, more to come, at the last MAGIC in Vegas and TexWorld conferences i attended on Spring, retail stores came to tell us about how to GRAB the customers and my dear Vince, as you are looking for ways to 'dodge'; them seeing you, is how some nerds and techies are working tirelessly to make sure that the Ads follow you to bed gan, so to say. lol.

Kaymax, there are plans now to have Ads popping up on cell phones, and some are already, if you play games on your Android, notice how most of them have Ads already....adn they are getting really personal! The physical shops as we know it is heading towards extinction soon, they want us all to shop till we drop! To browse till we dizzy!...

and one would think they would make the Internet FREE worldwide sef! :rolleyes: seeing they may tonnes of $ off the Ads Online!

ssergit

..still The Drama Queen!
But, seriously though, WHAT IS PRIVATE NOW?
back in the day, consumers whined and complained about filling forms Online and adding date of births, test questions, full names etc....

BUT NOW, there are people who post for the World Wide Uwanile(Igbo for world) their dog's names, DOB, their kid's names, their own DOB, their full names, even their spouses and parents and maiden names! Some even post pictures of their houses WITHOUT blocking the street number/name! Some Buggas (Ghana language for showoffs) would even post the pictures of their cars with the vehicle tags!!! Duh!!! Seriously! How hard is it to get the Motor vehicle info and know the person's home address? Oh YES - FACEBOOK, Twitter and I hear there is another one called Badoo or whatever!

So, what is really private!??? How hard would it really be for a professional criminal to go through some Bugga's facebook page and guess the person's bank PIN # or even the person's passwords and all!

Abegi. We all lost our privacy since facebook took over the world! I only wish facebook was there during 9/11, it would have been different......

Abike

@ Kaymax, you are late to this party biko :p Its a phenomenon that happens to ALL!...and no we aint safe anymore...anything you dont want to be public, dont put it into writing, even in email! Shikena!

kaymax

@ Kaymax, you are late to this party biko :p Its a phenomenon that happens to ALL!...and no we aint safe anymore...anything you dont want to be public, dont put it into writing, even in email! Shikena!

They have us by the balls now. What's the point of having a pc, if you can't even do simple research or do a inquiry without being bombarded by ads? I mean seriously???

Sola

Administrator
Staff member
They have us by the balls now. What's the point of having a pc, if you can't even do simple research or do a inquiry without being bombarded by ads? I mean seriously???
You can a bit. Just set your computer to REFUSE ALL COOKIES and use the PRIVATE BROWSING feature. You can also block ads, but a lot of the web will be closed off to your for doing the latter cos websites can tell...

Abike

Ah! you need to give me a tutorial biko....will call ya!

You can a bit. Just set your computer to REFUSE ALL COOKIES and use the PRIVATE BROWSING feature. You can also block ads, but a lot of the web will be closed off to your for doing the latter cos websites can tell...

ssergit

..still The Drama Queen!
Ermmm... you REFUSE ALL COOKIES and Cookie Monster go vex! Not to talk of more processing time for your PC - SLow monster sets in! Gbam.
PRIVATE BROWSING? Hmmm.....how about 'History' links you may want to refer to later? [especially on a personal PC]...public/shared ones, best NOT to leave history on sef.

OK, Techie Guru Sola, I get kweshion, as dem dey show for CSIs say olopa fit retrieve all history and logs and searches on someone's PC even after it has been 'fried' of data........so, what happens to the InCOGNITO/PRIVATE browsing sessions....do they DISAPPEAR to the Blackhole? ~ Curious me

Status
Not open for further replies.