• Naija Rules! has been around since 2003, providing a hangout for the fans of Nigerian and African movies. Our members were in the forefront of the spread of movies from Africa to the world.

Tears In Heaven

Status
Not open for further replies.

realljuice

peeps am just watching this film by zeb Ejiro titled Tears in heaven,,,this film is so good and the sisters can sing,damn,,,has anyone seen the film too,and if yes how did you feel when you saw it,the film can make one cry..

khamileon

Re: just watching tears in heaven

Originally posted by realljuice
peeps am just watching this film by zeb Ejiro titled Tears in heaven,,,this film is so good and the sisters can sing,damn,,,has anyone seen the film too,and if yes how did you feel when you saw it,the film can make one cry..

'HAVE SEEN IT.... THE END PART IS REALLY EMOTIONAL (THE ELDER SISTER AND ALL THAT...) THE MUSIC "EGU CHINEKE" IS RELEASED ALONG WITH THE OTHER SONGS .... LOTSA PEEPS IN NAIJA REALLY LOVE THE MOVIE.

realljuice

Re: Re: just watching tears in heaven

Originally posted by khamileon
'HAVE SEEN IT.... THE END PART IS REALLY EMOTIONAL (THE ELDER SISTER AND ALL THAT...) THE MUSIC "EGU CHINEKE" IS RELEASED ALONG WITH THE OTHER SONGS .... LOTSA PEEPS IN NAIJA REALLY LOVE THE MOVIE.
thanks man,i just finished it now,its really emotional,those girls can sing too,i know of lopez as having a good voice but the other two seems new,i think if helped the can make go singers too,and man that egwu chineke is driving me crazy,will ask my people to go buy am for me in naija.

mamarita

OJODTROUBLELOVER
Tears in Heaven????// No b song title? I haven't seen it but why would I want something emotional

vince

Originally posted by mamarita
Tears in Heaven????// No b song title? I haven't seen it but why would I want something emotional
You're not the only one,mamarita.I am also sick and tired of all these tearjerkers.
I will be avoiding them from now on.
I want movies that will make me go hmmmmmm,that will make me think and go phylosophical about things happening around me.
I want movies that will make me jump up and punch the air with excitement.
I'm done with all these sappy stuffs for real!

ghanaiangyal

vince,

It takes time ... I don't think the average nigerian audience is ready for such deep films. I don't mean this as an insult to their intelligence, but because of what they have been acustomed to for so long. In ghana, it has become better- whereby the films deal with more substantive issues, however many ghanaians complain that is why the film industry is dying- b/c their not appealing to the common denominator and so many veiwers think its boring compared to the melodramatic, tear jurking, unbelievable stories that is sometimes portrayed in Nigerian movies.

However, it always amazes me how French African films deal with more substantive issues in general- I ve watched some senegalese, algerian movies and they tend to be alround better even it the production level is at par with nigerian movies. Maybe the francophone community internalized the french culture so much that they developed that framework of filming.. I don't know. But whatever it is, anglo- phone west africans tend to like the melo-dramatic bush stories that are throne at us soo much times. Its like they want the movie to think for them and spell out each event and plot for them- thus there is no room for subtle mind engaging films.

sorry for the long post, but i like talking about this subject

khamileon

Originally posted by vince
You're not the only one,mamarita.I am also sick and tired of all these tearjerkers.
I will be avoiding them from now on.
I want movies that will make me go hmmmmmm,that will make me think and go phylosophical about things happening around me.
I want movies that will make me jump up and punch the air with excitement.
I'm done with all these sappy stuffs for real!

NNA THIS NA OLD FILM O! BEFORE ALL THESE ODA ONES COME OUT. DEM HOLD BACK THE RELEASE FOR LOTSA REASONS ...ANYWAY IT'S A MOVIE U MIGHT WANNA SEE KINDA DIFFERENT

vince

Originally posted by ghanaiangyal
vince,

It takes time ... I don't think the average nigerian audience is ready for such deep films. I don't mean this as an insult to their intelligence, but because of what they have been acustomed to for so long. In ghana, it has become better- whereby the films deal with more substantive issues, however many ghanaians complain that is why the film industry is dying- b/c their not appealing to the common denominator and so many veiwers think its boring compared to the melodramatic, tear jurking, unbelievable stories that is sometimes portrayed in Nigerian movies.

However, it always amazes me how French African films deal with more substantive issues in general- I ve watched some senegalese, algerian movies and they tend to be alround better even it the production level is at par with nigerian movies. Maybe the francophone community internalized the french culture so much that they developed that framework of filming.. I don't know. But whatever it is, anglo- phone west africans tend to like the melo-dramatic bush stories that are throne at us soo much times. Its like they want the movie to think for them and spell out each event and plot for them- thus there is no room for subtle mind engaging films.

sorry for the long post, but i like talking about this subject

My dear,it has nothing to do with average naija audience as you put it.
Naija movie watchers are as sophisticated as anybody else in the world.
Movies with deep themes have been made in nigeria and they have been extraordinarily well recieved by the viewing public (a movie like SAWOROIDE comes to mind).
The problem lies squarely with the producers who are refusing to bankroll highly demanding movies because it takes too much resources to make them,financially and time.
They want simple and easy stories that they can produce in a week and tearjerkers fit this bill perfectly.
It has nothing to do with the taste of the public at all.
Dat na just producers' excuse.

Sola

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by vince
My dear,it has nothing to do with average naija audience as you put it.
Naija movie watchers are as sophisticated as anybody else in the world.
Movies with deep themes have been made in nigeria and they have been extraordinarily well recieved by the viewing public (a movie like SAWOROIDE comes to mind).
The problem lies squarely with the producers who are refusing to bankroll highly demanding movies because it takes too much resources to make them,financially and time.
They want simple and easy stories that they can produce in a week and tearjerkers fit this bill perfectly.
It has nothing to do with the taste of the public at all.
Dat na just producers' excuse.
I lean more towards Ghanaiangyal's analysis here. She's not saying outright that Nigerians don't watch films like that - just that our producers package for the lowest common denominator.

vince

Originally posted by Sola
I lean more towards Ghanaiangyal's analysis here. She's not saying outright that Nigerians don't watch films like that - just that our producers package for the lowest common denominator.
Was that what she meant?I doubt it.

blackgold986

I agree with my mates wey say the movie was very emotional but I couldn't finish it yesterday cos na for my friend's house na im I go watch am. Wetin happen anybody fit gist me.
With yall comments, I am starting to really feel as if I don miss and I for stay finish am but when they said ile ya, sisi no fit stay to finish the movie. Infact i remember say I stop where the wicked aunty dey beg for forgiveness. Abeg, helep me out.

ghanaiangyal

Vince,

I am sorry for the misunderstanding, but Sola interpreted me correctly. Like I pointed out before my analysis, it has nothing to do with the intelligence of the Nigerian audience it is more about what your giving and thus become acustomed to. This is media theory 101.

I don't know if youve heard about the famous Canadian media theorist Marshal McLuhan- anyway he is famous for coining the phrase " the medium is the message" ( maybe that rings a bell incase you don't know). Anyway, the gist of the whole thing is that producers appeal to the common denominator to appeal to the widest audience possible. Right now this is the phase that the Nigerian industry is focused on- selling, selling, selling and using shock value subjects like sex, adultrey, drama, murder ( the whole nine yards) to do so.

This situation is understandable giving the infancy of the industry, everybody want to capitalize on it . However, such films make the audience complacent b/c it is filming purely for entertaiment sake- and not for its artistic value. As such it is hardly thought provoking or mind stimulating.

Therefore, it will take time for the type of movies you are demanding to emerge- only when the general audience has gotten tired of all the shock value "bull" they put in the market amd become sophisticated enough to begin to critically decipher between bad and good films, films that have no meaning and etc. will the kind of movies you want gain prominence.

This change has begun to occur- recently, I have noticed that the plots in some nigerian movies are becoming more sophisticated and more mature- however this t end goal still remains illusive.

I don't mean to tote Ghana's horn, but before the Nigerian movie industry was big, Ghana had a booming movie industry ( albeit domestic) and it was also solely focused on shock value.. however, after a while people started to slowly begin to ask for more mature and mind stimulating drama. Unfortunately, this project got derailed by the Movie industry in Nigeria- which has taking over the Ghanaian industry due to its popularity among the younger generation.

Nne-Baby

Re: just watching tears in heaven

Originally posted by realljuice

very nice..........i saw it 2 weeks ago. very good actresses. the big sister really played her role very well. did i lie there weren't tears in my eyes??? ha, ha, ha.............very moving.
to think their father actually died not too long ago made it even worse.
nice one!

vince

Originally posted by ghanaiangyal
Vince,

I am sorry for the misunderstanding, but Sola interpreted me correctly. Like I pointed out before my analysis, it has nothing to do with the intelligence of the Nigerian audience it is more about what your giving and thus become acustomed to. This is media theory 101.

I don't know if youve heard about the famous Canadian media theorist Marshal McLuhan- anyway he is famous for coining the phrase " the medium is the message" ( maybe that rings a bell incase you don't know). Anyway, the gist of the whole thing is that producers appeal to the common denominator to appeal to the widest audience possible. Right now this is the phase that the Nigerian industry is focused on- selling, selling, selling and using shock value subjects like sex, adultrey, drama, murder ( the whole nine yards) to do so.

This situation is understandable giving the infancy of the industry, everybody want to capitalize on it . However, such films make the audience complacent b/c it is filming purely for entertaiment sake- and not for its artistic value. As such it is hardly thought provoking or mind stimulating.

Therefore, it will take time for the type of movies you are demanding to emerge- only when the general audience has gotten tired of all the shock value "bull" they put in the market amd become sophisticated enough to begin to critically decipher between bad and good films, films that have no meaning and etc. will the kind of movies you want gain prominence.

This change has begun to occur- recently, I have noticed that the plots in some nigerian movies are becoming more sophisticated and more mature- however this t end goal still remains illusive.

I don't mean to tote Ghana's horn, but before the Nigerian movie industry was big, Ghana had a booming movie industry ( albeit domestic) and it was also solely focused on shock value.. however, after a while people started to slowly begin to ask for more mature and mind stimulating drama. Unfortunately, this project got derailed by the Movie industry in Nigeria- which has taking over the Ghanaian industry due to its popularity among the younger generation.
Well,if u had said it like this the first time,i would've understood where you were coming from.:)

Videoscope

Naija Movie Critic
Seen it too, but like someone said it got so emotional that at a point I wanted to scream, "Alright already!" I think they tried too hard to make it a tear jerker. But it was okay, if you like that sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.