• Naija Rules! has been around since 2003, providing a hangout for the fans of Nigerian and African movies. Our members were in the forefront of the spread of movies from Africa to the world.

Wrestlemania

Status
Not open for further replies.

truforia

Sports entertainment is a type of spectacle which presents an ostensibly competitive event using a high level of theatrical flourish and extravagant presentation, with the purpose of entertaining an audience.

Some sports entertainment events are forms of actual sports, such as the XFL football league and exhibition basketball with the Harlem Globetrotters association. Others are modifications of sport for entertainment purposes, Vince McMahon's type of professional wrestling is considered sports entertainment, derived from wrestling, and roller derby, derived from roller skating. Some take activities that are commonplace and make a competition out of them, such as competitive eating.

Some forms of sports entertainment involve taking competitive games which are usually considered minor in the grand scheme of things, such as dodgeball, poker, or rock-paper-scissors, and televising them with trumped-up theatrics, such as celebrity competitors or elaborate audiovisual packages.

The term came into prominence in the 1980s through its use by Vince McMahon and the World Wrestling Federation, in order to avoid governmental athletic regulation, and it is explicitly used in advertisements by the Harlem Globetrotters. Precursors have been found going back to February 1935, when Toronto Star sports editor Lou Marsh described professional wrestling as "sportive entertainment."

While the concept of sports entertainment is generally applied only to modern creations, it can also be applied to traditional public spectacles such as bull fighting or even the gladiatorial fights of the ancient Roman Colosseum.

Monster truck events, and the U.S. television show American Gladiators are contemporary examples of sports entertainment without predetermined outcomes. Robot fighting such as Robot Wars and Battle Bots have been a popular sports entertainment fad. Televised thumb wrestling such as Thumb Wrestling Federation is also a type of sports entertainment.

Although most sports entertainment is seen as having a niche market, even extremely popular television shows such as Strictly Come Dancing and Dancing With the Stars fall into the genre.

Some sports such as mixed martial arts and other combat sports are sometimes considered sports entertainment despite their legitimacy and relative lack of theatrics.

Sports entertainment has a stigma of mindless pop culture, and has been criticized as such in popular media. The film Idiocracy portrays a future where sports entertainment permeates the global culture: the president is an active professional wrestler and capital punishment consists of a combination demolition derby, monster truck event and gladiator duel, and is a highly popular television broadcast. Fiction with a dystopian future setting often portrays deadly futuristic games as popular sports entertainment, including the movies Rollerball and The Running Man and video games such as Smash TV and the Twisted Metal series.

HulkHogan.com – The Only Official Hulk Hogan Website

WrestleMania is a professional wrestling pay-per-view event, produced annually in late-March or early-April by World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) (formerly known as World Wrestling Federation). It is considered the flagship pay per view event of WWE, as it is the most successful, longest-running professional wrestling event in the world and is nicknamed "The Grandaddy of Them All" and "The Grandest Stage of Them All." The event was first produced in 1985, since then, 24 editions of WrestleMania have been produced thus far, with WrestleMania XXV to be held in 2009.

WWE: TV Shows > WrestleMania XXIV > History

Thickmadam

OHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHH!!
tru tru, i didn't know you were a wrestling fan!

me? i'm an avid fan (well i used to be but i don't follow it as i used to)
i mean i used to analyze matches the way pa j analyzes football matches.
you think my open letters are anal? you should have seen the extensive notes and stuff i'd write up on wrestling (and yes, I KNOW IT IS FAKE)

i mean i was so bad, when i was 9 months preggers with uk, i went to the coliseum when wwe came to richmond. my old oga was flabbergasted and he had to constantly restrain me and keep me from jumping up and down and jumping on my seat and abusing the bad guys.

but you grow up eventually and other things capture you interest.

ah! those were the days.

Thickmadam

OHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHH!!
:bouncy I touched HULK HOGAN! :460:

what what what?!
i'm so jealous!
so so jealous!
i used to love that man!! i mean, when wrestling was wrestling and they used to give those wonderful interviews before or after a match, i used to memorize the interviews, all of them!

remember when triple h first came to wrestling and he used to wear those sissy clothes?

or the rock! rocky maivia?

i have many pictures from when they came here live, but i never got close enough to touch!

Field Marshal

ABSOLUTE SUPREME RULER
I saw the match between Rody Rowdy Piper and Jimmy Superfly Snuka in the Old Boston Garden. Piper almost decapitated him with a folding chair. What about the Memorable match between Hulk Hogan and The Iron Sheik at Madison Square Garden in NY. It was there Hogan beat the Iron Shiek to begin his 10year Rule as the Hulkster. Remember MR. Wonderful? Or the first WrestleMania that featured Cindy Lauper, Mr T, Cowboy Bob Orton and Piper?:fing02:

iuwa

I was a big fan of Shawn Michaels, the late Ravishing Rick Rude, Sting, late Flying Brian, Ric Flair & Four Horsemen, Roddy Piper. I always like the bad guys. Wrestling was a main event in my house back in the day.

Thickmadam

OHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHH!!
FIELD!
i actually teared up while reading this, my dad used to tape the matches and we bought ALL the wrestlemania, summerslam, matches.

do you remember 'Taker's first match?

how about that match between Yokozuna and Lex Luger? i mean, everybody in my house was cheering for Lex, and when he lifted Yoko?! and slammed him?
you would have thought that nigeria's leaders had decided to stop looting the treasury.

or how about that match between sgt slaughter and **kai! the name escapes me... well he was fighting some people who weren't americans.

how about LEGION OF DOOM!!! huh huh?

oh man!
i'm really tearing up now.

I saw the match between Rody Rowdy Piper and Jimmy Superfly Snuka in the Old Boston Garden. Piper almost decapitated him with a folding chair. What about the Memorable match between Hulk Hogan and The Iron Sheik at Madison Square Garden in NY. It was there Hogan beat the Iron Shiek to begin his 10year Rule as the Hulkster. Remember MR. Wonderful? Or the first WrestleMania that featured Cindy Lauper, Mr T, Cowboy Bob Orton and Piper?:fing02:

Field Marshal

ABSOLUTE SUPREME RULER
FIELD!
i actually teared up while reading this, my dad used to tape the matches and we bought ALL the wrestlemania, summerslam, matches.

do you remember 'Taker's first match?
Yep!!! :D November 1990. The Dead Man, The Honky Tonk Man & Greg Valentine Vs. Dusty Rhodes, Koko B. Ware and the Hart Foundation.

how about that match between Yokozuna and Lex Luger? i mean, everybody in my house was cheering for Lex, and when he lifted Yoko?! and slammed him?
you would have thought that nigeria's leaders had decided to stop looting the treasury.

Reminds me of when the Hulkster Slammed Andre The Giant in WRESTLEMANIA 3

or how about that match between sgt slaughter and **kai! the name escapes me... well he was fighting some people who weren't americans.
Do you mean The Iron Shiek from Iran or Nikolai Volkof?

how about LEGION OF DOOM!!! huh huh?
oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh what a Ruuusssssshhhh!!!:whacky034
oh man! i'm really tearing up now.

:1iagree: memories! Chai!!!!! Memories!!!!

truforia

Ahem...where?

:D Sorry, you asked for it!

sport-s: I attended my one & only wrestling event when I was a kid, at the Civic Center. All I remember from that time is HULK HUGAN! He simply stood out from everything else, he w-a-s wrestling...and still is. HOGAN is to wrestling, what PELE is to football. People don't actually attend wrestling events to see the wrestlers wrestle, it's what happens before, after, and during the match that has made pro wrestling a phenomenon. It's the fireworks, the spectacle, an extravaganza of sports! So all I remember was HOGAN's entrance, this is what people paid to see...entertainment. I was seated way at the top, but because of the pandemonium taking place in the arena, I was able to go down to the bottom...way up front. As HOGAN came out, everybody started grabbin' for his guns...his shirt didn't make it to the ring! I had my hand out looking for THE HULK to give me a high-five...I remember being slapped by sweat. HOGAN was just tryin' to get to the ring...before the fans ate more than his shirt! :Banane35:

Field Marshal

ABSOLUTE SUPREME RULER
Our union is built on our love -- for wrestling.
It can never ever fail.
:love001:

It is 2059hrs on a Monday evening...........the 52" flat Screen Plasma TV is Tuned to a Satellite TV Channel that shows WWE wrestling!!!! Dressed in her Lovely evening atire is my Beautiful ThickM sitting next to me in a "Figure 4 leg" position. I give her a lovely, but gentle bear hug and we embrace and lock lips before Vince McMahon walks down the ramp with his swagger walk to start an exciting evening of MONDAY NIGHT RAW!!!!!!!!!! Our love for Wrestling is deep and so it shall remain until the end of time.:mrstraetz:love004::715:

Field Marshal

ABSOLUTE SUPREME RULER
my one and only, i wait for your response to my declaration of love. (see post #15)
:mrstraetz

Here I am my lovely ThickM:715:.............Tag team partners we shall be and remain forever. Our move in the ring of love shall be legendary and weak contenders will be crushed with our famous submission hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.